What is the Funeral Planning Authority?

CEDR is the dispute resolution body for deadlocked complaints related to members of the Funeral Planning Authority (FPA) and their customers.

Please note: from the 31st May 2022, CEDR will no longer be accepting cases for the Funeral Planning Authority. For more information, please read the “Important Notice” below.

Important Notice: Current Scheme to end on 31st May 2022

From the 31st May 2022, CEDR will no longer be accepting cases for the Funeral Planning Authority.


This is because the government passed legislation in 2021 to move the regulation of funeral plans to being under the remit of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). The FCA will be assuming regulatory authority on 29th July 2022 and it is on this date that the current function carried out by the Funeral Planning Authority will cease.

This means that, from that date, all providers previously registered with the FPA will be required to be regulated by the FCA or exit the market.

As the FCA will be regulating funeral planning from 29th July 2022, the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) will become responsible for any disputes for customers of providers previously registered with the FPA at time of the event giving rise to the complaint.

What will this mean for me and my dispute?

Any disputes taken on by CEDR prior to 31st May 2022 will be run as normal and concluded by CEDR.

If you have a dispute after 31st May 2022 but before 29th July 2022, you will be given the choice of using the FPA’s informal complaints process or waiting until 29th July 2022 to take your complaint directly to FOS.

After 29th July 2022, all disputes can be taken straight to the FOS. FOS will be accessible to customers of any provider that was previously registered by the FPA.

However, please note, you will not be able to take complaints already handled by the FPA to FOS. This means that if you have previously taken your complaint either through CEDR’s process or through the FPA’s informal complaints process, you will then not be able to take the same dispute to FOS at a later date.

We provide Conciliation and Arbitration services to help resolve your disput

Conciliation is a private and structured form of negotiation assisted by a trained CEDR Accredited mediator. If a settlement is reached the mediator can draw up an agreement that can then become a legally binding contract if signed by both parties.

This process is conducted by several means of communication including telephone, Skype or by email.

Arbitration is a formal and legally binding process where the dispute is resolved by the decision of a nominated third party called an arbitrator. Once the arbitrator issues their award it is legally binding under the Arbitration Act (1996) and can only be appealed in the courts in very limited circumstances. The arbitration process is conducted entirely in writing.

The arbitration process is conducted entirely in writing.

If you want to complain about CEDR please read our Complaints Procedure document. Once you have read the Complaints Procedure and you want to submit your complaint, please use our Complaints Form, which you can download below. 

Complaints Procedure

Complaint Form

Independent Reviewer's Terms of Reference

Companies covered

You will be directed to an external site, where you can search to see if your company is covered under this Scheme.

The steps you must take before submitting a complaint

Step 1.

Raise your concerns with the funeral firm.

Step 2.

If you remain dissatisfied refer the matter Funeral Planning Authority who will in turn refer to the matter to CEDR for conciliation.

Step 3.

If the matter is not resolved through conciliation you may proceed to binding arbitration if you wish.

Ready to submit a complaint?

Complain now

Need additional assistance?

Please call us and we will provide the support that you need

Call us
Your Cart
Skip to main content