To contact or appoint Alan Jacobs, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agency agreement dispute in relation to an accounts balancing payment made by the agent who alleges it was based on misrepresentation that the money was owing.
- Dispute between a consumer, a finance company and between the finance company and a supplying car dealer in relation to an allegedly defective supercar.
Banking & Finance
- Claim for unpaid invoices in relation the provision of horticultural services.
- Dispute between bank and SME customer in relation to service charges and funding advice.
Alan spent many years working on negligence cases as a litigator including cases involving negligent plastic surgery, post-operative infections, incorrect diagnosis of disease, incorrect drug administration.
“… straightforward and likeable guy who explained the process well and kept things moving. He got on with all the attendees."
- Client Feedback
- Clinical negligence dispute in relation to alleged failure of a surgeon to properly advise prior to carrying out a cosmetic surgery procedure.
- Clinical negligence case involving the failure to identify the existence of a foreign body within a wound.
- Clinical negligence claim by the family of a deceased patient in relation to the value of the financial and care dependency claims.
- Clinical negligence case involving delayed diagnosis of cancer resulting in avoidable death.
- Clinical negligence claim in relation to a fatality in hospital. Damages claim on behalf of the deceased mother and by her family.
- Clinical negligence claim against a hospital trust by elderly patient who had contacted a virulent disease whilst in hospital.
- Clinical negligence claim relating to a fatality.
- Clinical negligence case where liability, causation and quantum were all in dispute and there had been no previous settlement attempts but with trial listed within 2 months.
- Clinical negligence claim by a patient against a hospital for alleged negligent execution of an operation by a surgeon & the hospital negligently discharging the patient too early.
- Clinical negligence resulting in fatality to 47 year old man with dependants.
- Complaint against a hospital in relation to the care of the complainant’s deceased mother.
- Claim for £300k involving clinical negligence alleged to have caused sterilisation.
- Clinical negligence case by Dependants of a deceased who committed suicide, alleged to be due to lack of proper restraint/care whilst detained in hospital allowing him to escape.
"I was particularly pleased with (his) sensible commercial approach and ability to pull the parties back from the buffers.”
– Client Feedback
- Dispute between two brothers regarding a contract for the supply of goods and services. The dispute involved a lot of emotion and complex family dynamics.
- Manufacturing agreement between parties who had entered into a joint venture for the manufacturing of bedroom furniture. The business failed.
- High value claim involving a party providing call centre services and print management services to a large mail order retailer.
- Very substantial quantum/merit claim, alternatively a contractual claim for the provision of healthcare services by a private provider to a health authority.
- Claim arising out of a merchandising contract for the provision of services by a family company in a specialist niche area.
- Contractual dispute involving the sale of an allegedly faulty high value car.
- Dispute between a haulage & packing contractor with a customer over contract terms.
- Dispute between franchisee and franchisor in relation to repudiator breach of contract reference a retail toy shop.
Construction & Engineering
“He did well in his dealings with the client, who can be difficult to get much out of. This was quite a complex case and he did well to get up to speed on it so quickly."
– Client Feedback
- Dispute between a purchaser of an apartment and the builders in relation to defects that have been occurring for the past 11 years.
- A housing association and a tenant’s claim in relation to disrepair and poor service delivery over a protracted period of time.
- A tenant’s claim against a housing association in relation to allegedly defective repairs to the tenant’s home.
- Claim for alleged defective building works in relation to a house renovation and kitchen replacement.
- Dispute between Housing association vendor and a group of 16 purchasers of properties in relation to alleged misrepresentation.
- Dispute between multiple Right to manage property management companies and a lift company in relation to a lift maintenance contracts and alleged monies due and damages sought by way of counterclaim.
Employment & Workplace
- Dispute between government officer and her employers in relation to personal injuries from slipping in foreign accommodation they provided, and between that employer and an agency providing them with labour to manage property.
- Dispute between agent and principle over accounting balances and consequential losses.
- Dispute between agent and principal in relation to accounting balances between then in which the agent alleged return of monies paid to the principal.
- Court of Appeal mediation involving a claim for damages under the Human Rights Act by a professional in relation to the process adopted by a regulatory authority which it was claimed lead to the closure of the professional practice due to the way discretion was used by the regulator in how they applied procedure, and the timing of it. There were background issues around disciplinary proceedings and bankruptcy proceedings arising out of the issues which grounded the claim for damages.
- Alleged secret profit made by employee without declaring it to employer and alleged misuse of business assets.
- Dispute between anent and principle in relation to accounts between them and termination of the agreement.
- Dispute between agent and principal where the principal had a judgment for monies due and costs of £20k but the agent counterclaimed £337k in relation to damages for breach of agency agreement.
- Dispute between a person prosecuted for theft and the company pressing for the prosecution, which was eventually dropped. The person subsequently died and it was alleged that their illness was exacerbated by the stress of the prosecution.
Energy & Natural Resources
- Dispute between a commercial tenant and an energy company regarding payment for the provision of electricity under a deemed contract pursuant to 1989 Electricity Act.
ICT – Information, Communication & Technology
- IT supply/purchase agreement dispute in relation to performance of software. Worth £1.2m with £500k counterclaim.
- Advising a major composite insurer on setting up a pre-action mediation scheme, then advising on individual case suitability for mediation.
- Claims between factory owner and a servicing company related to alleged defective maintenance provided by the contractor resulting in delays and disruption on the production line.
NHS & Healthcare
- Claim for damages against a GP and Hospital Trust arising out of a death caused by medical negligence.
- Clinical negligence claim involving 2 NHS trusts relating to an alleged failure to diagnose a condition that made husband & wife kidney transplant operations ineffective.
- Clinical negligence case against a hospital trust in relation to admitted failure to diagnose cancer in a scan.
Partnership & Shareholder
- Dispute involving a former partner of a law firm. A claim for secret profits was brought against the partner. The matter involved complex reputation issues.
"…brought gravitas and a high level of understanding to the mediation and he developed rapport wonderfully.”
– Client Feedback
- Personal injury claim by employee in relation to an accident at work causing Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) and psychiatric depression. Claim valued by claimant at £1.6m.
- Accident at work producing a claim against the employer relating to a relatively low speed motor accident resulting in minor physical injuries but alleged serious psychological injuries including PTSD and agoraphobia potentially having brought the claimant's future working capacity to an end.
- Personal injury claim for psychiatric injury by four secondary victims as witnesses to the death of a family member caused by food poisoning from a restaurant and involving issues also between insurers and insured.
- Second appeal by an employee claiming damages for personal injury - RSI alleged to be due to work. Alleged no adequate risk assessment and breach of the Manual Handling Regulations.
- Court Of Appeal scheme dispute over a road traffic accident causing injury and loss.
- Claim by a serving police officer against the police service in relation to injuries suffered while on a training course.
- Employer’s liability – claim by employee allegedly injured on an “away day” training day.
- High profile stress claim, particularly challenging because of the claimant’s psychological medical condition.
- Motorcycle accident alleged to have been caused by the presence of ice.
- Personal injury claim involving an American domiciled claimant and three different insurers. The case involved working out the complex dynamics between the three insurers.
- Holiday accident claim involving a serious fall from a hotel balcony in a foreign country. Liability and quantum disputed.
- Quantum only RTA case where the parties were at loggerheads.
- Accident at work, allegedly leading to an attempted suicide – problems around proving factual and causative issues.
- Accident at work involving a head injury where there were 3 defendants.
- Accident at work involving a forklift. Contributory negligence and quantum were areas of issue.
- Personal injury claim for £250k involving psychiatric injury following the sinking of a ship.
- Fibromyalgia court action (£400K), issues of accident liability and causation.
- A number of upper limb disorder claims by food factory workers on the basis of causation, stopping "floodgate" claims.
- Chest disease case alleging asthma caused by a hot-dip galvanising operation. The first recorded case of this nature.
- A series of slipping accidents at a food factory alleged to be due to a fundamental defect in the factory flooring; claims came to approximately £750,000 in total.
- Acting for a major supermarket chain in relation to a "floodgate" baker's asthma claim.
- Factory accident claim (£300k) where the claimant alleged a continuing disability causing a permanent inability to work and therefore a substantial loss of earnings claim.
- Court of Appeal, personal injury claim, defendants seeking relief from sanctions under the CPR. Occupiers liability case.
- Court of Appeal Personal Injury claim against a police authority by a member of a public.
- Court of Appeal case involving a personal injury claim for brain injury at a motorsport event, claimed at over £2m.
- Allegedly negligent valuation advice in relation to the sale of a house.
- Mediation Involving a claim for monies due under contract on sale of a solicitors practice and counterclaim for damages for misrepresentation and similar related issues.
- Boundary and Highway Disputes
- Residential boundary dispute in relation to the position of a wall and other physical features.
- A boundary dispute involving domestic property neighbours that had been ongoing for 10 years.
- A dispute involving alleged possessory title to a strip of land adjoining a domestic house.
- Dispute by several, adjoining, property owners in relation to an allegation of creation of a public right of way over their property by usage over time and therefore of the status of the land as highway.
- A property owner alleging a public right of way existed over their land, by usage over time, such that they had no duty to repair and maintain and therefore defended an injured party’s claim for damages for personal injury.
Sale of Goods & Services
- Mediation involving a claim for damages by purchasers of a new house against the builder for the remedial cost of and general and consequential damages arising from alleged defects that were not covered by the NHBC warranty.
- Dispute between building owner and interior design and kitchen design company.
Updated: August 2018