Andrew Manning Cox
To contact or appoint Andrew Manning Cox, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email email@example.com
Andrew Manning Cox
"… combines gravitas with a calm personality …" - Chambers & Partners Guide to the Legal Profession
“… far superior to any mediator we had seen before …” - Client Feedback
Andrew Manning Cox has been an active mediator since 1996 working on disputes spanning a wide cross section of sectors including a substantial amount of international work from the USA, Europe, Near and Far East and Russia. In addition to his work as a mediator, as a Chartered Arbitrator Andrew is regularly appointed to act as arbitrator by CEDR and a number of other arbitral bodies.
Andrew is a Partner at the law firm Gowling WLG (UK) LLP. He uses the full ADR tool kit of techniques including mediation, expert determination, adjudication and early neutral evaluation. Andrew is a Solicitor Advocate with full Higher Court Rights, and a Chartered Arbitrator (FCIArb). While acting as a partner at Wragge & Co since 1985, Andrew had headed the employment team and the construction and engineering law teams of the firm. He is also member of the Partnership Council.
As the holder of non-executive directorships on the boards of a number of client companies, Andrew has practical experience of issues facing businesses on a day to day basis, enabling him to understand in a more focused way the objectives and requirements of people involved in disputes. Andrew is also an immediate past non-executive director of CEDR for 10 years.
(Non-Neutral work in italics)
- Over 20 years of claims experience acting for airlines, manufacturers and suppliers.
- Intimate knowledge of airline and airport business models.
- Many international arbitrations.
Banking and Finance: £24m claim for conversion and conspiracy.
- Dispute between a Housing Association and a Council in connection with the proper interpretation of provisions of a Stock Transfer Agreement in relation to works required to transferred housing stock.
- Breach of fiduciary duty claim in excess of £150 million.
- Railway litigation involving operators, manufacturers, component manufacturers and suppliers in relation to multi million pound claims for project delay and loss of profit.
- A claim of £600,000 in respect of a lost development opportunity.
- Claims for £350,000 arising out of paint spillage damage to new cars.
- A £100m Directors and Officers insurance claim arising from alleged misrepresentation and breach of warranty.
- Advising the world's leading social media marketing platform on its US$689 million acquisition by an enterprise cloud computing company.
- Confidential information and confidentiality rings; procurement.
Construction & Engineering
As the former head of Wragge & Co’s construction and engineering team Andrew is a highly respected construction law specialist . He advised clients on projects using all the recognized stand form contracts on a daily basis but particularly the JCT forms. Andrew acted for contractors, sub- contractors, members of the professional team, and a wide variety of employers.
- Claim by subcontractor against main contractor regarding air conditioning work, and counterclaim.
- A number of mediations related to building projects under the JCT standard form of contract.
- Multi-party cross-jurisdiction dispute in relation to extension of time claims for commercial premises in Scandinavia.
- A multi day multi party mediation in Moscow related to a major construction project involving Russian and Asian parties (US$25m).
- Six month construction arbitration action on behalf of a Local Authority.
- Acting for an American/French cladding contractor in the High Court on a claim for breach European competition law in relation to the award of the contact for Portcullis House.
- The parties are involved in Part 20 proceedings in relation to the design and construction of a new build hotel, the Part 20 Claimant being the contractor, which is itself the subject of a claim by the hotel owner, and the Part 20 Defendant being the consulting engineer which designed works in the basement of the hotel.
Employment & Workplace
With substantial experience as the head of Wragge & Co’s employment team Andrew has worked on a large number of claims in this area including.
- A very sensitive employment dispute (at a pre-employment tribunal stage) between senior managers where the complex issues resolved after a day’s mediation, leading to withdrawal of a complaint and an agreed method of working together for the future.
- Sensitive discrimination claims.
- Claims for breaches of restrictive covenants and duties of confidence.
- A claim by Merlin against Cooper arising out of an alleged of a goodwill agreement and a contract of employment when Cooper left Merlin to set up on his own as a financial advisor and allegedly took clients with him.
ICT - Information, Communication & Technology
- A significant number of telecoms litigation and arbitration cases.
- Highly technical claims arising out of the provision of mobile telephony services.
Partnership & Shareholder
- Substantial multi party unfair prejudice petition and cross petition in relation to a highly valuable land development company.
- Unfair prejudice petition following a company sale and allegations of misrepresentation.
- Claims against accountants, lawyers, architects and quantity surveyors.
- £30m claim for fraudulent misrepresentation related to a property transaction.
- Claims for breach of the Public Contracts regulations 2006 (as amended).
Sale of Goods & Services
Andrew has a substantial level of experience in disputes arising out of the Sale of Goods and Services Act both as a mediator and litigator.
- Claim for £280,000 under a business sale agreement with a defence alleging the claim was time barred.
- A £1m dispute in relation to the quality of goods supplied.
- Acting for customers and suppliers in relation to engineered components failure.
- Substantial experience of mediation in the automotive and railway industries.
- Claim for recall costs in the automotive sector.
- Domestic and international arbitrations for customers, manufacturers and component suppliers; Defence sector.
- Acting in highly sensitive procurement disputes.
- Claim for breach of warranty, breach of contract and misrepresentation with a value in excess of £20 million.
- Warranty claims against a company vendor of a private limited company with a plc guarantor.
- Warranty claims arising from the sale/purchase of companies with allegations of conflict of interest.
Andrew has wide experience in all forms of dispute resolution and brings these various skills to bear when assisting parties in mediation. Parties have referred to his meticulous preparation, his proactivity, his impressive skill and sense of energy and purpose. At the express request of all parties to a mediation he is prepared to give his views on likely outcome. In the right case this can facilitate an unblocking of otherwise insoluble log jams.
Feedback – Clients
- “The way Andrew handled the process was far superior to any mediator we had seen before.”
- “He was proactive and handled the day impressively.”
- “I am still not sure if any of my three clients realised what trouble they were in. Suffice to say I am quite sure they would still be in it if it had not been for your powers of mediation.”
- “His attitude and approach greatly aided the mediation process and was one of the major factors in reaching a successful conclusion.”
- “He was very good, sensible, business-like, with good explanations and handling of the case.”
- “His assistance and guidance combined with unfailing optimism was appreciated.”
- “His tone was very good, he oozed mediation.”
- “We were impressed with the energy and skill he put into the process, which created precisely the kind of atmosphere that gives mediation the best prospects of success.”
- “Thank you for your help and for staying on so late to bring this difficult case to a close – I am now converted to the merits of mediation and will bear you in mind for future cases. I must admit I was expecting the process to fail as we seemed so far apart so I am delighted to be able to close our file.”
- “You have your own very special style of dealing with these things, which was crucial to achieving the result. My clients were not unexpectedly suitably impressed as was my opponent.”
- “It is (surprisingly) rare to find a mediator who has put the work in before the mediation in order to really understand the issues. It was very clear that you had done that, with the result that the process was worthwhile.”
- “Many thanks again for your most valued input into the mediation yesterday and for your help in getting the final settlement.”
- “We were all very impressed by your knowledge of the papers and the issues in the cases and by the structured way in which you conducted the Mediation.”
- “You may be assured that I will nominate you to conduct my next Mediation.”
Feedback – Directories
Andrew is featured in the Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession, Legal 500 and the Legal Experts Directly as a leading individual.
- Selected as one of the 2012’s Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom by BestLawyers.com
- "combines gravitas with a calm personality"
- “one of the pre-eminent litigation names”
- “an extremely professional litigator and a strong performer”
- “a forceful and intelligent litigator”
- “firmly established as a leading presence in the litigation market”
- “firmly established as a leading presence in the market and possesses considerable expertise in complex corporate and commercial disputes”
Andrew has a First Class Degree in Law and an MA both from Cambridge University and qualified as a Solicitor of the Senior Court in 1980.
- Partner of the Year, Birmingham Law Society, 2011.
Non-Executive Directorships and panel memberships
Andrew was a non-executive Board member of CEDR for 10 years and is a member of CEDR Commission on Settlement in International Arbitration chaired by Lord Woolf and Professor Gabrielle Kaufman-Kohler.
Updated: October 2016