To contact or appoint Andy Grossman, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email email@example.com
- Payments for the supply of meat products from an Eastern European supplier to a major UK retailer.
- Loss of profit claim related to the termination of a local authority service contract.
- Alleged failure of local authority to pay outstanding fees for adult social care services.
- Agent’s commission on the sale of kitchen joinery and fittings.
Construction & Engineering
- Long-standing dispute between a national contractor and a Middle Eastern employer in relation to civil engineering works on a private estate
- Three party dispute related to third party damage caused to an adjoining property during the construction of a mixed development
- Faulty workmanship claim brought against a specialist contractor
- Delays to the construction of a local authority college
- Breach of contract claim related to the refurbishment and repair of a listed building
- Breach of contract claim related to the location and construction of an agricultural building
- Five party dispute related to water ingress and damp penetration problems on a new build project on an exposed site
Andy was the lead mediator in the then Department of Environment, Transport and the Regions pilot scheme for planning appeal and enforcement cases and has also mediated public rights of way disputes for The Planning Inspectorate. Many of his planning mediations have involved interested third parties and statutory advisers in addition to the developer applicant and Local Planning Authority's teams.
- Five party enforcement case involving a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
- Four party dispute related to a residential development on a historically contentious site of natural interest.
- Six party dispute regarding the future development of a home for people with learning difficulties.
- Issues analysis prior to an Examination in Public as part of the Regional Planning Guidance process.
- Design and delivery of an independent consultation process in relation to the proposed development of a Gypsy and Travellers site.
Numerous disputes involving architects, civil engineers, surveyors and planning consultants related to:
- design and supervision;
- failure to identify defects;
- inadequacy of advice related to building repairs;
- inadequacy of preparation and conduct of a planning inquiry;
- quantum meruit claims for fees;
- litigant in person claims.
- The dispute related to the non-payment of architect's fees for a substantial private residence. The Employer issued a counter-claim for breach of contract and professional negligence.
- Conditional agreement for the sale of development land by a commercial developer to a national house builder
- Nuisance claim brought by a public authority in relation to damage to one of its properties allegedly caused by demolition works on an adjacent site
- Actionable nuisance claim related to development land adjacent to a golf course.
- Adequacy of consultation in relation to a local authority’s decision to delimit the issuing of hackney carriage vehicle licences (judicial review case).
- Dispute involving a local authority, government agency and a charitable regeneration trust in relation to a river improvement project.
- Issues following an investigation of a local authority’s alleged failure to provide respite care services.
- Dispute regarding the management of a specialist care facility of an NHS Trust.
Other Dispute Resolution Experience
Facilitation And Independent Chairing
Andy has acted as a facilitator and neutral chair to help parties in addressing a variety of commercial and management issues in different sectors:
- Reviewing the growth of the UK arm of a global, US based charity.
- Reaching a decision on the rewording of the Royal Charter of a professional institute working with all the institute’s council members, senior officers, external legal advisors and representatives from government departments.
- Reviewing a government agency’s future service delivery focus.
- Narrowing environmental and land issues ahead of a public inquiry between the promoter and objectors in relation to an application by a local authority for permission under the Transport and Works Act for the construction and operation of a guided bus system.
- Improving communication between the Chair of an NHS Trust and one of its Non-executive Directors.
- Developing a communication protocol for the Board, Executive Director and staff of a professional services company.
- Identifying and clarifying roles and responsibilities in two teams in a global consultancy.
Updated: November 2018