To contact or appoint Anthony Blasdale, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
"Persistent … just kept going, never seemed to tire … really made us believe that a settlement could be achieved." - Client Feedback
Anthony Blasdale is a practising chartered surveyor, arbitrator and mediator. With over 40 years’ experience of commercial and residential property, land and development experience, his mediation work covers general commercial contract disputes, as well as claims of all kinds related to construction projects and a wide range of other property related issues. In addition to his work in his specialist field, Anthony has undertaken a number of mediation appointments for the Independent Housing Ombudsman and under a scheme for the Manchester County Court, run by the Manchester law Society.
Anthony has received over three hundred appointments from the President of the RICS as Arbitrator or Independent Expert to deal with commercial rent reviews. He has also given litigation support in complex property disputes.
Anthony qualified as an Associate of the RICS in 1965 and became a Fellow in 1976. A partner in Longden & Cook he founded his own practice in 1979 and became a partner in Swimer Lee Blasdale in 1985. When that practice was sold to Cardales in 1996 he remained with them and was, for two years, head of the Manchester office before joining ep2 Chartered Surveyors in 2000 as a Consultant.
Currently, he is a Consultant to HCC Solicitors, in Manchester, advising on property-related litigation and continues to act for a number of private clients. He has been a Consultant to Property Alliance Group and Excel Securities.
(Non-Neutral work in italics)
- Defective printing machinery claim for £750,000 being the balance of money outstanding retained by industrial printers on the grounds that equipment did not perform to specification.
Construction & Engineering
- Claim by a house buyer against the developer and builders relating to outstanding defects and plot dimensions.
- Claim by 5 individuals (supported by their Trade Union) against their employer in respect of injuries sustained during the course of their employment.
- Claims related to injuries suffered by a fireman.
- A claim by the owner of a historic and listed building against an architect and structural engineer related modernisation and improvement works which lead to the property being in danger of collapse due to defective structural calculations. Extensive additional work had to be undertaken resulting in delay and cost.
- Claim against a firm of structural engineers arising out of reconstruction of retail premises in Wimbledon. Claim in excess of £2m.
- Claims against a large firm of Solicitors arising out of a defective notice to Quit which caused substantial losses because of a delay in obtaining vacant possession.
- Conditionality, extensions of time, oversailing rights, overage agreements, rights to light, planning agreements, collateral warranties, rights of way, ransom strips, defective works, cost overruns, contaminated land.
- Development agreement and overage claim between parties with differing interpretations of the contract leading to disputes over valuation calculations and amount payable.
- Breach of covenant claim over alleged breaches relating to both the use and location of a newly-constructed building. Disagreement over basis of the calculation 0f any compensation (Stokes v Cambridge et al) and what arrangements could be put in place to protect the future development of retained land.
- Dispute between adjoining commercial land owners concerning an extension of time under a development agreement permitting over-sailing and other rights to developer and warranties and guarantees to adjoining owner multi £M construction project.
- For acquisition, disposal, lettings, development appraisals, rent reviews and lease renewals, dilapidations (s18).
- Landlord & Tenant
- Agreements to lease and leases.
- Dilapidations and repairing covenants generally.
- Rent reviews and lease renewals.
- Service charge disputes and general property management issues.
- Dilapidations Claim where the issues in dispute included a missing Schedule of Condition, disagreements as to the extent of repair required and a failure to agree the section 18 Valuations and Cost Cap.
- Service charge dispute by the owners of a city centre office block against their tenants in respect of service charge payments withheld. Issues in dispute included interpretation of repairing covenants, distinction between repairs and improvements and apportionment as between tenants.
- Rights of way, easements, party wall issues, inheritance, lease/licence, boundary disputes.
- Involved in negotiations with major international tenant regarding re-structuring lease and £2.5m dilapidations claim.
- Successfully negotiated for landlord the restructuring of a number of inter-related property interests to allow a well-known tenant to alter and improve buildings, resulting in increased rental and capital value.
Trusts, Wills & Probate
- Administration of Estate – a dispute amongst the Trustees and Beneficiaries regarding the sale of development land, following the death of 2 family members.
- Trusts established for benefit of settlor’s children. Consideration of possible malpractice by trustee. Appointment of an additional trustee.
Anthony focuses on solutions rather than the repetition of legal positions. He has a relaxed style and will facilitate the development of party lead resolutions but he will also adopt a more evaluative style when the situation requires it.
- “Patient, persuasive, logical, usually calm … can be very charming …”
- “Persistent … just kept going, never seemed to tire … really made us believe that a settlement could be achieved.”
- “…very capable and helped the parties maintain a focus on settlement rather than rehearsing legal arguments.”
Anthony regards his consultancy work with a NW based Development & Investment Company as including dispute avoidance by overseeing all its documentation to ensure that terms are clearly and comprehensively expressed. He has lectured to the Manchester Law Society, the RICS and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and presented for CEDR to English Nature and Scottish Natural Heritage.
- Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors – Qualified 1965
- President’s Diploma in Arbitration and re-accreditation as Independent Expert – 2001
- Associate of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
2002-2009: Consultant to Property Alliance Group and Excel Securities.
2000 – 2004: ep2 Chartered Surveyors. - Partner, latterly Consultant
Based in Professional Department. Dealt with a wide range of commercial property issues.
1996 – 2000: Cardales Chartered Surveyors. - Head of Manchester Office
Reporting to the Chief Executive. Responsible for overall management of the regional business.
1985-1996: Swimer Lee Blasdale - Commercial Property Agents and Surveyors, Manchester. - Partner
Responsible for operation and control of own sector and general management of the business.
1979-1985: Anthony Blasdale & Co, Chartered Surveyors, Manchester. - Owner
Established and developed new practice
1966-1979: Longden & Cook Chartered Surveyors, Manchester and branches. - Assistant rising to Partner
Updated: April 2016