To contact or appoint Baria Ahmed, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
“Calm and constructive approach which oiled the wheels for the deal."
"Her assistance was invaluable.” - Client Feedback
Languages: English - Hindi - Urdu
A UK qualified barrister, Baria has acted as an alternative dispute resolution professional for over 10 years. Previously the Head of CEDR Solve, she now focuses on her mediation practise, ADR and negotiation training, and international consultancy work.
As a full-time mediator, Baria’s mediation experience is highly varied and she is attuned to the commercial and personal issues that can be present when businesses and individuals find themselves in conflict. From employment and workplace disagreements to construction and engineering disputes, and intellectual property claims to banking and finance matters, Baria has demonstrated experience across the board.
Banking & Finance
- Commercial debt dispute regarding a financing agreement between private businessman and high street bank, involving distinct insolvency issues.
- Corporate Finance dispute relating to outstanding PLUS (formerly OFEX) advisory fees.
- Contractual dispute about the purchase and refurbishment of a helicopter.
- Complex Trademark infringement/passing off dispute.
- Complex contractual dispute regarding the provision of grounds maintenance services to a large supermarket for stores across the UK.
Construction & Engineering
- Engineering dispute relating to factory plant and machinery, and involving multinational pharmaceuticals giant. Claim for alleged loss and expected profits.
- Multiple construction claims by homeowners for alleged negligence and breach of contract by builders, with counterclaims for unpaid invoices.
- Claim for overpayment and alleged defective work following termination of a residential buildings contract. Counter claim for underpayment.
Employment & Workplace
- Various employment and workplace related disputes with issues such as alleged discrimination, unfair dismissal and team conflict.
- Complex dispute regarding commission payments in pressurised financial institution.
- Alleged racial and sexual orientation discrimination claim against housing association.
- Alleged sexual orientation discrimination within large international legal practice.
- Dispute involving a food franchise where the case revolved around breach of contract for widening the business without approval.
- Dispute in the retail sector concerning the end of a franchise agreement and return of goods.
- Dispute relating to services provided by national telecoms company to commercial client. Issues included allegations of fraud and loss of chance.
- Dispute regarding installation of audio and visual equipment in large public sector institution.
- Dispute relating to the recovery of stolen paintings valued over £2million - issues included alleged entrapment, fraud and proceeds of crime.
- Insurance dispute relating to a policy underwriting commercial property business.
- Alleged negligence dispute between large retail chain client and insurance broker regarding extent and nature of cover.
Partnership & Shareholder
- Dispute between two shareholders about the manner and value of the sale of business property after liquidation, leading to extreme deterioration of their relationship and excessive legal costs.
- Dispute relating to the dissolution of a business and the contributions to outstanding debts.
- Contractual dispute between medical services and reporting agency and a firm of Personal Injury solicitors, arising out of the dissolution of The Accident Group
- Claim on behalf of estate of the majority Director/Shareholder.
- Claim relating to unpaid invoices, with questions whether the contracting party was a partnership or a limited company (which had since ceased trading).
- Joint venture claim for profits on commercial property development project.
- Sale and purchase of a vineyard in Tuscany – dispute over value of stock and terms of agreement governed by Italian Law.
- Claim by commercial landlord for payment of rent and service charges pursuant to a lease.
- Claim by Local Authority as landlord for alleged use of commercial premises in a manner inconsistent with the contract.
Sale of Goods & Services
- Complicated shipping dispute involving elements of insolvency. Issues included ownership of goods, rights to exercise lien and payment of unpaid invoices.
- Unpaid invoices claim relating to supply of beauty products for distribution in the UK.
Baria is a firm believer in thorough preparation and places great emphasis on pre-mediation contact with the parties and their representatives. Able to build rapport easily during this time and the early stages of the mediation, she works actively to assist the parties in viewing their dispute as a shared obstacle, one that can be overcome by effective communication between them. Baria is not afraid to test the parties if needed, and is highly pragmatic in helping consider options for settlement.
- “Best mediator CEDR has!” “Superb!” “Energetic throughout.”
- “Calm and constructive approach which oiled the wheels for the deal.”
- “She was engaged with the people and events … supportive and confident.”
- “She was plainly very well prepared … rapidly developed an excellent working relationship with both parties.”
- “We admired the way she went about her work; she showed a good grasp of the issues and we felt she were being fair and impartial at all times.”
- “Her patience was to be admired throughout what was a very long day for us all.”
- “Her assistance at the mediation was invaluable.”
- “Good support on such a complicated and highly contentious case.”
Other dispute resolution experience
Baria spends a substantial amount of time working to deliver international projects focussing either wholly or in part on mediation and ADR. In this capacity, she has worked as an Expert Consultant for large international donors including the World Bank, the International Finance Corporation, the European Union, the United Nations and the UK Department for International Development, as well as private commercial organisations. With projects delivered across Europe, Middle East, South and East Asia, Baria has expertise in working with stakeholders from myriad cultural backgrounds. Currently (as at July 2012) she is working to deliver a project to help train senior judges and lawyers in Turkey following the recent enactment of the Mediation Law for the United Nations Development Program, and is involved in institutional capacity building and support projects in Pakistan and Lebanon. (Please request appendix with full details of current and recent projects if interested.)
As a trainer, Baria continues to deliver mediation, negotiation and communication skills training worldwide, both as a member of the CEDR faculty and independently. Together with more formal courses, Baria has spoken about ADR and its development at conferences (Global Contract Risk Management, Commercial Litigators Association, Law Society), and seminars for law firms and private clients. Finally, she delivers the 12-week Mediation: Concept, Evolution and Practice module (part of the LLM in International Law) at Westminster University on an annual basis.
Appendix - key projects
2012-2013 United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Democratic Governance, Turkey
- To develop and deliver Judicial Awareness Raising programmes in partnership with the Ministry of Justice for up to 120 senior Judges
- To develop and deliver Basic and Advanced Mediator Skills Training and Master Training programmes in partnership with the Union of Turkish Bar Associations (UTBA) for up to 250 lawyers
- To deliver awareness raising events for key stakeholders and to help institutionalise the use of mediation/ADR across Turkey
2011- 2012 International Finance Corporation (IFC) Advisory Services Middle East & North Africa (MENA)
- To develop and deliver Mediation Skills Training (MST) course in 5 countries (Egypt, Morocco, Lebanon, Pakistan & Afghanistan)
- To provide Institutional Capacity Building (ICB) consultancy for regional ADR Centres, including business planning, marketing and services
- To deliver awareness raising events for key stakeholders to help institutionalise the use of ADR in the region
2011 American Bar Association (AAA), Istanbul, Turkey
- To develop and deliver a 3-day Basic Mediation Skills Training (MST) course for 10 Iranian Judges and Lawyers in Istanbul, under the auspices of AAA and Bahçeşehir University (BU)
2010-2012 Hellenic Mediation Centre, Athens, Greece
- Basic and Advanced Mediation Training
2010 IFC ADR Global
- To deliver an ADR manual for the implementation of commercial mediation project internationally
2009-2011 Hong Kong Bar Association
- Mediator Training
- Awareness raising
2009 IFC Investment Climate Advisory Fund – Bangladesh
- To conduct a feasibility study on proposal to establish the Bangladesh International Arbitration Centre within the Chamber of Commerce in Dhaka
2007 PricewaterhouseCoopers, London and Barclays Bank, London
- To develop a mediation and conflict management services for employees
2007 World Bank, India
- To support the development of the Indian government-backed International Centre for Alternative Dispute Resolution (ICADR)
2006-2008 IFC-MENA, Pakistan
- To help establish a pilot mediation Centre in Karachi
- To train judges, lawyers and professionals in mediation skills
- To help set up a court-referred ADR system
Updated: August 2017