Charles Middleton Smith
To contact or appoint Charles Middleton Smith, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Arts & Fine Arts
- International high value joint venture dispute regarding development of contemporary art business.
- Authenticity dispute over very valuable antique – purchaser and dealer – varying expert opinions.
- Major dispute as to title in valuable artworks, and sharing agreement as to proceeds.
- Joint venture dispute regarding development of contemporary art business.
Assisted Deal Making
- Lengthy process over several months relating to the renewal of a multimillion pound contract for the provision of goods and services in healthcare sector: a major project surrounding the management of risk and reward.
- International corporate negotiation at CEO/Plc level regarding Sale and Purchase Agreement, key personnel service agreements, valuation of stock, loan notes, transfer of shares in multi million pound stock items, deferred consideration, termination of employment and consultancy, post-termination restrictions, on-going profits, IP rights. Business sector – fine art.
Banking & Finance
- Asset finance case regarding commercial agreements for shop fittings, with related guarantees. Issues of insolvency, Scottish law and undue influence.
- Asset finance case about several very valuable motor cars. Significant issues of law, relating to sale of goods and title, fraud by third parties.
- Dispute between customer and bank over interest rate swap.
- FSA scheme case regarding multi million pound investigation into insurance company.
- FSA scheme case regarding alleged mis-selling of mortgage products.
- Dispute between borrower and bank over shared appreciation mortgage.
- International case arising from manufacture of perfumery products, contractual dispute around quality of product with joint venture issues.
- International dispute – provision of accounting and auditing services, fee cap, management of project, business sector: software. Tax advice in issue. Missed deadlines, failure to report alleged.
- Negligence claim against estate agency for permitting an option to purchase at an advantageous rate to be included in a tenancy agreement for a multi-million pound residential property.
- Commercial dispute around supply of valuable machine for production of plastic products for automotive industry. Technical issues, international dimensions, performance and delay issues, maintenance issues, loss of revenue claims, IP issues.
- Dispute over International Agency Agreement, Manufacturing Sector, allegations of illegality/bribery.
- Commercial Agents Regulations case – issues as to consequences of agent’s termination, and valuation. Business sector – lighting products.
- Commercial Agents Regulations case – issues as to valuation, pipeline transaction commission. Business sector – electrical and electronic products.
- Licence and distribution dispute relating to classical music video.
Employment & Workplace
- Director employment dispute in well-known record company.
- Employment as relevant to mergers and acquisitions, shareholder, partnership, family business.
ICT – Information, Communication & Technology: International case regarding migration of logical data facility – issues over contract/sub-contract, delivery, quantum meruit, additional services, counter-claim, remedial works, lost opportunities.
- Dispute between rights owner and distributor in the pharmaceutical industry over invoice history and rights ownership.
- Copyright in software – public sector: payment of licence fee.
- Counterfeiting case – software.
- Trademark and copyright case – medical and healthcare.
- Infringement of design right – major retail group.
- Trademarks regarding seasonal offering of global retail corporation.
- IP rights as disputed in insolvency case including misfeasance claim against former director.
- Trademarks in tyre products used in bicycles and other vehicles.
- Case concerning copyright in furniture design and branding.
- Case concerning copyright in glassware design and branding.
- Copyright case over artwork between rival magazine publishers.
- Dispute over licence for sale of pharmaceutical products and associated damages claims.
Media & Entertainment
- Claim for remuneration and quantum meruit by CEO of company in equestrian sector with TV, IP and media issues, also funding in relation to start-up venture.
- Dispute over Sale and Purchase Agreement – Canada/UK companies, over copyright material in music recordings, licence agreements, issues of deferred consideration, tax, royalties with related litigation regarding supply and distribution of copyright musical material and media in CD and DVD formats.
- Film Sector – contractual dispute over quality of post-production work – specialist knowledge.
- Case concerning enforcement of collection of performing arts royalties.
- Case concerning copyright in photographs taken of iconic rock 'n roll band.
- Trademark and passing off case following book and video publication concerning leisure and fitness.
- Case concerning copyright in photographs taken of dance company, and alleged breach of licence.
- Dispute over advances under licence agreement for exploitation of film.
- Copyright case over author's rights in film script, with licensing issues.
- TV advertising trademarks case – two major utility companies.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate matter – Sale and Purchase Agreement, retail sector, high value, retention in dispute, final consideration, completion accounts, accountants reports, warranties, waiver and estoppel.
- International case – share acquisitions, deferred consideration, warranties and indemnities, chain of retail outlets, high profile, redundancy programme, debentures, legal charges, options, guarantees, escrow, Deed of Variation, claims for fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Claim for deferred consideration, counterclaim in deceit alleging Claimant had lied about the financial model of the Company.
Partnership & Shareholder
- Joint venture/shareholder dispute: high value matter, restaurant sector, significant IP rights and commercial issues, claims for breach of fiduciary duty, corporate governance issues.
- Companies Act claim for unfairly prejudicial conduct in 3 companies – quasi-partnership – issues of share allotment, breaches of fiduciary duty, mismanagement. Business sector – clothing and property.
- Libel case involving Premier League football club management and national newspaper.
- Case concerning the allegations of defamation in newspaper article relating to composition of well-known film theme.
- Case concerning defamation following magazine publication of photographs of “celebrity”.
Sale of Goods & Services
- Claim to title to valuable painting with dispute as to applicable law.
- Many examples in above sections along with recent energy sector case including consultancy, services, and employment issues.
- Case concerning specialist renovation of prestige classic car. Four party case concerning leasing terms for prestige limousine.
- Claim including allegation of fraud in the sale/lease of specialised sporting equipment.
- Case concerning three party claim to title to valuable race-converted supercar involving three jurisdictions.
Charles has mediated cases involving football, leisure and fitness, motor racing, motor cycling, governing bodies, sports funding and public sector.
- Cross border Claim (three jurisdictions) related to a $500K race-tuned road car.
- Dispute related to professional motorcycle racing.
- Two separate claims related to repairs and restoration projects of classic race cars.
Trusts, Wills & Probate
- Dispute as to beneficial interest in jointly owned property.
- Case under Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 – Civil Partnership, Theatre Sector.
Updated: September 2015