Charles Middleton Smith
To contact or appoint Charles Middleton Smith, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Charles describes his style as prioritising the commercial aspects, the future and reality, momentum, humour, courtesy and flexibility.
Feedback – Legal Directories
- "…combines a wonderful sense of humor with a firmness that allows people to take him seriously."
- “…his style is open and inclusive; he can be quite directional without appearing to be beating the parties into making a deal.”
- “ … suited to sophisticated clients” and “not afraid to challenge them.”
- "Middleton-Smith is establishing a strong presence. Popular with clients and referral organisations, he is deemed "marvellously thorough, understated and fair." His willingness to "get involved in the discussion and make real efforts to bring parties together" is applauded. Said to be "suited to sophisticated clients" and "not afraid to challenge them". "
- In contrast to the non-interventionists, this "marvellously understated and fair" practitioner is "decidedly proactive". He "puts people at ease" and is "highly sought after" for his "commercial flair". Considered able across widely differing sectors, he handles matters of great complexity in a "calm and contained"fashion. He is particularly admired for his workin entertainment, publishing, IP and defamation.
- The “flexible and patient” Middleton – Smith remains a popular choice as mediator, particularly for the IP, media and entertainment sectors.
- Middleton-Smith was praised for his method of "coaxing parties into a settlement with beguiling ease".
- Middleton-Smith has been commended as: "An excellent mediator, who remains calm and communicates effectively with both parties".
- With wide experience, Middleton-Smith is unafraid of challenging and engaging the parties and “takes the lead steering negotiations”.
- Some clients choose Middleton-Smith for his "calming influence", while others appoint him because of his "assertive pressure on parties."Many instruct him "for his management skills that keep the ball rolling." Middleton-Smith handles a variety of disputes, including general commercial, sports and IP. Peers recommend him for his "thoroughness," while clients value his "persistence" and efforts to keep them informed.
- Charles Middleton-Smith is rapidly gaining currency with City solicitors; his background as a litigator and his assured handling of clients add a desirable lustre to a “vigorous” and “incisive” style. In addition to handling a wide range of complex and high-value commercial disputes, he is also active in pioneering new areas such as “deal mediation”.
- Middleton-Smith is a “beacon of calmness” in mediations hinging on complex commercial contract, IP, media and entertainment and financial services issues. According to observers, his principal strength is “lowering the temperature at critical stages during the process”. Experienced mediators ascribe this talent to “putting the party first. He understands that the client is the most important person in this situation”. Recently, he has been called upon to facilitate deal making with an eye to preventing future disputes.
- His client-handling skills and years as a commercial litigator play well with a range of clients, who note his “rare ability to adapt his approach to deal with any client from the corporate bully to the independent artist”. He is a gifted mediator described as “impressive” and “assured”, and is widely recommended.
- Charles Middleton-Smith is regarded as a "charming mediator" who "combines a wonderful sense of humour with a firmness that allows people to take him seriously". He is highly qualified in mediations relating to complex commercial, IP and media and entertainment issues.
- The reputation of Squire Sanders (UK) LLP’s Charles Middleton-Smith continues to rise. Lauded for his professional bearing, calm manner and technical finesse, he is “quick to see the real issues in a case”, and engages the parties in “a firm but effective way”.
- Middleton-Smith demonstrates the “inherent skill of knowing precisely when to be authoritative and when to be sympathetic.” His commercial practice has witnessed a lot of copyright, trade mark and defamation disputes of late. “He keeps a tight rein on proceedings and is quick to intervene when the temperature rises”, say clients, who also appreciate his determination in seeing things through to a conclusion.
- Charles Middleton-Smith is an experienced mediator credited with “a particularly relaxed and empathetic style”. Client find him “astute, conscientious and thoroughly professional”, demonstrating, “an excellent commercial and legal grasp of the issues”.
- He has a strong track record for a large claims, and “his style is open and inclusive; he can be quite directional without appearing to be beating the parties into making a deal”.
- Middleton-Smith “keeps going when others may give up and does so with courtesy”. He earns further praise for his “excellent attention to detail and commercial outlook”.
Updated: April 2018