To contact or appoint Christopher Ennis, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email email@example.com
Over 35 years’ varied experience in construction, and over 20 years’ specialised experience in construction dispute resolution related consultancy.
1974 – 1989: Quantity Surveyor in private practice from Trainee to Associate with G.D. Walford and Partners, Chartered Quantity Surveyors (with seven months in 1983 at EC Harris & Partners).
Full and varied experience in all aspects of Construction Industry, including highways, defence installations, commercial, industrial and residential buildings, prisons and hotels, and in civil, marine, process, petro-chemical and other heavy engineering; airport-related work including control towers, radar installations, terminal buildings, aprons, runways and ancillary installations.
Project Management experience. Expert Witness appointments and advice on disputes concerning construction defects, professional negligence, and progress and financial problems occurring on construction contracts. Management consultancy.
1989 – 1991: Director of Ergon Design Group Ltd., an architectural and property development consultancy, managing amongst other things a professional negligence suit involving defects following Contractor's determination, culminating in six week High Court action.
1991 – 2007: Initially Consultant, in August 1995 Director, and from July 2003 to August 2007 Managing Director, Northcrofts Management Services Limited, a practice specialising in analysis of construction claims and disputes and advice on construction contracts.
2007 – 2012: Partner/Director in Legal Support Group, Davis Langdon LLP, since October 2010 an AECOM Company
2012 – present: Director of Time | Quantum Expert Forensics Ltd., (“TQEF”) specialising in mediation, arbitration, adjudication and quantum expert witness appointments.
Expert, Adjudicator, Mediator and Arbitrator and established “name” amongst construction dispute resolution specialists. “Checked” Expert Witness in “The Expert Witness Directory” published by Sweet & Maxwell.
Named Adjudicator in several construction contracts and an Agreement for Lease, and named Panel Expert for adjudication in several BSF/PPP projects. Adjudicator, Arbitrator or Mediator in connection with over 100 construction contract disputes. Arbitrator in domestic construction disputes and as Quantum Assessor in commercial arbitration. Member of Dispute Adjudication Board for a petrochemical contract.
Private Expert Advisor appointments (i.e., pre-action advice) in connection with numerous construction contractors’ claims and claims against Quantity Surveyors, QS Project Managers, Architects and Consulting Engineers.
Expert and other appointments in connection with time, management and financial matters in building, civils, petrochemicals and process engineering disputes in the UK and overseas, including:
Consultant advisor on a day-to-day basis on problems arising in practice faced by quantity surveyors, project managers and employer’s agents, mostly related to JCT and NEC3 contracts.
- MSc in Construction Law & Arbitration (King’s College, London)
- Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- “How Soon Should Claims in Multi-Party Disputes be Settled?” (1997) 13 Const. LJ 35.
- “Credit for Betterment in Quantum Arguments” (2000) 16 Const. L.J. 31.
- “What degree of proof is required in ‘ascertainment’ of loss and/or expense?” (2009) Const L.J. 7. (Published simultaneously in China Construction Law Review).
- “Financial Claims under NEC3 Contracts: An Overview”, paper D117, Society of Construction Law, December 2010.
- “Issues to be considered in evaluation of disruption costs on major construction projects”, paper for TECBAR Conference January 2011.
- “Evaluating Disruption Costs on Major Construction Projects”, paper D125, Society of Construction Law, July 2011.
- “The Expert in International Disputes”, paper D177, Society of Construction Law, August 2012.
- From 1996-2001, Member of Editorial Board, Assistant Editor and regular contributor, Construction and Engineering Law, published by Central Law Training.
- Occasional contributor on ADR matters to “Contact”, the Chartered Institute of Building members’ newsletter.
Updated: March 2016