To contact or appoint Christopher Newmark, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Banking & Finance
- Dispute between a bank and former customer for repayment of loan used for the acquisition of a new business. The dispute involved the enforcement of security over property and allegations of economic duress
- Dispute between a bank and customer regarding interest charges made under a mortgage deed and payments due under a related life insurance policy.
- Dispute concerning terms of repayment of a loan made to support a family business.
- Dispute between corporate financier and client regarding the fee payable for services related to the acquisition of a new business.
- Dispute between investor and financial institution regarding the performance of foreign exchange contracts.
- Two day mediation in the US concerning a dispute between a manufacturer of large scale machinery and its international customer.
- Dispute arising out of damage sustained during international transit to large scale IT equipment.Dispute between a manufacturing company and provider of global branding services.
- Dispute between a major broadcaster and a supplier regarding the development and provision of an on-line curriculum.
- Dispute between a major financial institution and a marketing agency regarding the termination of a contract for the provision of marketing services.
- Dispute valued in excess of € 450 million following the contested termination of an agreement regarding the payment of substantial royalties from one party to the other.
- Dispute involving a major electronics manufacturer arising under a contract for the provision of services related to the accreditation of certain products.
- Dispute between software company and one of its overseas agents concerning commission payable in respect of a major new contract allegedly procured by the agent.
- International dispute between supplier of power plants and its supplier of generators for incorporation into its generator sets. The dispute was mediated over several days under the ICC ADR Rules.
- Dispute following termination of a commercial agent. The claims included compensation under the Commercial Agents Regulations and minority shareholder relief for unfair prejudice.
- Dispute between a supplier of machinery and its commercial customer regarding the customer’s loss of profits following an alleged repudiatory breach of contract by the supplier.
- Dispute between vendor and purchaser under a share purchase agreement regarding alleged breaches of the agreement and payment of the purchase price.
- Dispute arising from the sale of a vineyard and related business.
- Dispute between a supplier of health products and an internet marketing agency regarding alleged breaches of duty committed in the marketing of the products.
- Multi-day mediation of major dispute involving several participants in the product recycling sector.
- Dispute between head contractor and sub-contractors relating to the provision of waste management services at a waste disposal centre.
- Dispute between a global footwear brand and its UK agents.
Construction & Engineering
- Dispute between a construction company and one of its sub-contractors regarding consequences of sub-contractor leaving the site due to late payment of invoices.
- Three party dispute between employer, contractor and sub-contractor concerning responsibility for defects to a floor forming part of a newly erected commercial property.
- Dispute arising out of a contract for the provision of specialist labour services for installation of cabling in secure premises.
- Dispute referred to mediation via the Court of Appeal Mediation Scheme concerning the damage caused by allegedly negligent building works which were part of large property renovation.
- Dispute between contractor and employer relating to the cost of replacing faulty parts within the heating system for a commercial property.
Energy & Natural Resources
- Dispute concerning negligent performance of services relating to the offloading and storage of a cargo of fuel.
- Dispute in respect of amounts due under a contract for the drilling of an oil exploration well in North America.
- Dispute between the manufacturer of power generation systems and its supplier of generators arising from catastrophic failure of certain products.
ICT – Information, Communications & Technology
“He was very professional and had a good grasp of IT and contractual issues.”
- Client Feedback, ICT Dispute
- Dispute between financial institution and software services provider regarding the termination of a contract for the provision of services relating to internet security systems.
- Dispute between a software provider and customer in the insurance and reinsurance sector.
- Dispute between human resources consultancy and IT provider concerning the provision of allegedly defective software.
- £15 million dispute between customer and IT supplier / consultancy concerning the design and implementation of a geographic information system.
- Lead mediator in co-mediation of five party dispute between a public body and four IT services and hardware suppliers. The dispute, which was worth £3 million, involved third party claims between the defendants. This case was settled in a one day mediation, the preparation for which involved briefing sessions with each of the parties.
- Dispute between a financial institution and software development company concerning the development and provision of a bespoke software system.
- Dispute between a construction company and IT supplier regarding problems in the implementation of accounting software system.
- Dispute between an internet service provider and equipment manufacturer concerning on-line payment system.
- Dispute between IT services company and one of its major corporate clients regarding liability for invoices issued pursuant to an IT services contract.
- Dispute between IT company and its customer (a telecoms provider) regarding the fitness for purpose of bespoke software.
- Dispute between developer of internet security software and its customer regarding the effect of resignation of a key member of the developer’s research and development team.
- Dispute between lead contractor and sub-contractor in connection with the performance under a long term contract of a major IT project for the public sector. The mediation involved several meetings with the parties over a number of months, dealing with both historic issues and improvement of the future relationship.
- Dispute between software provider and customer in the leisure sector regarding royalties and other payments allegedly due.
- £300 million dispute between a major telecom company and internet service provider.
- Dispute between a major mobile operator and large financial institution regarding claims and counterclaims arising out of a long term contract for the provision of mobile phone services.
- £11 million dispute concerning termination of an IRU agreement in respect of a fibre optic cable network.
- Dispute concerning performance of a call monitoring and answering system supplied to a London Borough.
- Dispute between two telecom companies relating to unpaid invoices for call usage on certain leased lines.
- Dispute between two telecom providers in respect of amounts due under a revenue share agreement.
- Dispute between two businesses concerning a failed project involving smart card technologies.
- Multi-party dispute involving misfeasance and transaction at undervalue claims brought by liquidator against former directors and connected parties in connection with a sale of land prior to the liquidation.
- Contractual dispute between tour operator (in liquidation) and company providing flight operation services.
- Dispute between a manufacturing business and its insurance broker regarding alleged breach of broker's duty to explain policy conditions.
- Dispute between insurer pursuing subrogated claim and defendant’s insurance arising out of the damage caused by the supply of an allegedly faulty piece of equipment used in the space industry.
- Dispute between ship owner and insurer in respect of business interruption losses arising from a broken propeller on a large commercial vessel.
- Dispute between two providers of business software to the public sector over the consequences of termination of an agreement for the joint sale and support of software. The dispute included IP as well as breach of contract issues.
- Dispute between a government department and a provider of IT services regarding the alleged breach of intellectual property rights in the software.
- Copyright dispute over use of a photographer’s images in a media campaign.
Partnership & Shareholder
- Four party dispute between shareholders in a business in the entertainment sector. The dispute also concerned disputes over IP rights.
- Dispute between shareholders and family members regarding rights in a publishing business.
- Dispute between a company and a former director regarding the appropriate price to be paid to him on the transfer of his shareholding in the company.
- Dispute between a former shareholder and continuing shareholder in a company in the photographic industry relating to repayment of the shareholder's investment in the company
- Three party dispute between shareholders in a manufacturing company regarding the level of dividend payments due to one of the minority shareholders.
- Dispute between shareholders in a furniture manufacturing company relating to board representation and various other shareholder rights.
- Dispute between shareholders to a joint venture company created to develop and market products in the energy conservation sector.
- The claim was against the Claimant's former law firm for negligent advice relating to a strategy for renegotiating a high value agreement for the development of certain drugs. The strategy resulted in litigation which the Claimant claimed it had not been warned of. The law firm had since gone into liquidation, so was represented by its insurer only.
- Dispute between a drug development company and a research organisation under a contract for the provision of drug trials.
- Dispute concerning contract between two companies in the agrochemicals sector for the supply of goods and services.
- Dispute between two companies in the pharmaceutical industry arising out of a contract for the development of new compounds.
- Dispute between an international law firm and its former client concerning an allegedly unlawful conditional fee agreement and allegations of negligent advice
- Dispute between a client and its former law firm representatives relating to fees claimed under a conditional fee agreement, including allegations of over-charging.
- Dispute between a client and his former law firm concerning an alleged failure to provide adequate fee estimates.
- Dispute between insolvency practitioner and solicitor in respect of the provision of allegedly negligent legal services.
- Dispute between landlord and managing agent for the landlord's properties.
- Dispute between tenant and landlord concerning the impact on the tenant's business of building works at the premises.
- Dispute between a government department and a consortium of professional firms regarding the fees chargeable pursuant to a contract for services.
- Dispute between a London Borough and a provider of advertising hoardings in relation to alleged trespass.
- Dispute between a consortium of local authorities and a provider of waste disposal services.
- Dispute between a government owned business and an employment agency regarding fees due under a long term contract.
- Dispute between an NHS Trust and a supplier of software for use in several hospitals.
- Dispute between a sovereign state and a provider of restoration services regarding performance of a contract.
Sale of Goods & Services
- Dispute between supplier of specialist equipment to a customer in the mining industry.
- Dispute between brand owner and licensee in the retail sector regarding terms upon which the license was to be terminated.
- Dispute following failure of a long term manufacturing agreement for infant formula milk.
- Dispute under a contract for the supply of bio-fuel, including issues relating to the recovery of losses incurred in connection with hedging contracts.Dispute between two companies involved in the supply of food and services to a major supermarket chain.
- Dispute between a multi-national consumer electronics manufacturer and a supplier of TV stands relating to alleged quality defects.
- Dispute between two companies concerning a contract for provision of mail delivery services.
- Multi-party dispute between a purchaser of sophisticated machinery and the overseas manufacturer, local agent and bank which provided finance for the purchase.
- Dispute between a vendor finance company and a local borough regarding an equipment finance agreement between the claimant and a local borough school.
- Dispute concerning commission payments claimed by an agent following termination of an agency agreement which had never been recorded in a signed agreement.
- Dispute between event management company and its consultants regarding the promotion of an international golf tournament.
- Dispute between an official and the governing body of a sport concerning certain disciplinary action taken by the governing body.
- Dispute between football club and its former manager concerning the manager's departure from the club.
- Dispute between the governing body of a sport and one of its member associations regarding governance of the governing body.
- Member of the Football League’s independent neutrals panel.
Trusts, Wills & Probate
- Dispute between trustees of a trust responsible for the management of a place of worship.
- Dispute between trustees of a charitable trust regarding the roles and responsibilities of individual trustees and the financial management of the trust.
Updated: August 2017