To contact or appoint Christopher Newmark, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Chris’s approach to mediating involves thorough preparation: early briefings with the parties with a view to ensuring that all protagonists arrive at the mediation ready to engage. While he places the focus on the parties and their commercial interests, he also uses his expertise as a commercial arbitrator and litigator to assist the parties in evaluating their strengths and weaknesses.
Feedback - Clients
- “Extremely commercial, handled the situation very sensitively, worked out the personalities very quickly, was very calm, found the way to resolve the mediation quickly and closed the deal. It was a superb performance.”
- “Short of wearing a Santa Claus outfit and distributing presents, it’s difficult to know what Chris could have done better!”
- “Chris was great…Both sides had their cases well thought out and Chris was ideal for this mediation. This was a complex case and Chris was very patient and persistent. I cannot think of any weaknesses. I would definitely use Chris again.”
- “Approachable, organised and methodical. He was sensitive to both parties, listened very well and helped find avenues towards resolving the issues / brokering an agreement which the parties had not considered. … the mediator did need to probe the parties a bit and Chris did so perfectly.”
- “Managed the process nicely, explaining everything so that the clients felt comfortable. In particular, I was impressed by his pre-mediation contact to the parties which helped prepare both parties for the mediation and no doubt saved time on the day.”
- Calm, clear and good at dealing with the clients. I felt comfortable with him as the mediator and would certainly use him again.”
- “Chris has very good people skills and was excellent at managing everybody on the day. He was very pragmatic which is what you need from a mediator. He was also non-judgemental with a non-interventionist style.”
- “Chris was prepared to stick it out on the day and the mediation went on past midnight. He made contact with us before the mediation, very informal and we appreciated that Chris had even phoned while on holiday.”
Feedback - Directories
- A broad practice and is particularly noted for large, complex mediations in the IT and telecoms sector. Clients praise his ‘great ability to communicate hard messages in a calm, measured and personable way’. He also shows ‘immense tact, skill and humanity in steering emotional and difficult negotiations to successful conclusions’.
-The Legal 500 2012
- "A calming influence," Christopher Newmark is a popular choice for seemingly intractable commercial disputes. Sources comment that he is "proactive, efficient and effective" with an "excellent grasp of the underlying issues."
- Chambers & Partners Guide to the Legal Profession 2013
- "Immaculately prepared, commercially aware and a creative thinker, Newmark possesses a diverse skill set and has established an excellent mediation practice. He is a go-to for a wide array of commercial disputes, both domestically and internationally.”
- Chambers & Partners Guide to the Legal Profession 2012
- “Hugely developed insight into the dynamics of a dispute” and that “clients appreciate the high-level attention he provides”.
- Chambers & Partners Guide to the Legal Profession 2010
- Chris’s “gentle manner, combined with a ‘total grasp of the issues’ quickly wins confidence, laying the groundwork for settlement”.
- The Legal 500 2010
- In 2009, Chambers noted that Chris is “highly rated as a result of his measured, charming and knowledgeable approach”.
- Chambers & Partners Guide to the Legal Profession 2009
- “Recognised for impressive interpersonal skills, a warm sense of humour and a shrewd view across a range of commercial and financial disputes.”
- The Legal 500 2009
Updated: August 2017