David Owen QC
To contact or appoint David Owen QC, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email email@example.com
David uses his legal expertise to help the parties to analyse the real issues, test positions, and explore realistic outcomes. His background enables him to carry out robust reality testing where appropriate, and to manage the mediation process effectively. He also aims to provide constructive input into commercial negotiations. Feedback suggests that parties appreciate his firm, patient style; his attention to detail, his ability rapidly to deal with complex issues, and his patience in assisting the parties to reach satisfactory outcomes.
Feedback – Clients
- “David has all the qualities of a successful mediator. He is smart, patient, kind, attentive and thoughtful. He is both a good communicator and a sensitive listener.”
- “The best I have encountered during my career of 14 years since qualification. Since using Mr Owen as a mediator, I have recommended him to colleagues on every occasion when a recommendation is sought.”
- “David Owen is a wonderful mediator. He is extremely intelligent and adept at using it to both sides’ benefit in mediations. He gets results cleverly.”
- “Exemplary mediator…approachable (to the clients), direct and thoughtful. Another very important attribute…is that you were not (or did not appear to be) bored by, or disinterested in, all the inevitable haggling. (Some mediators are.)”
- “David was particularly good at reality testing in relation to litigation risk in a way which was non-confrontational and allowed the parties to move from stated positions.”
- “He came to the mediation incredibly well-prepared, and he quickly grasped the issues presented. He also appreciated and dealt effectively with the significant emotional aspects of the case.
- “David’s approach to a difficult dynamic within the mediation was both flexible and first-class. He recognised the drivers for the key individuals, and was able to facilitate a successful resolution as a result.”
- “He only had sight of the papers at the last moment, but gave the impression of being familiar with the case, and referred to dates and names in a way which is always reassuring to the parties.”
- “Conscientious and hard-working mediator…I was impressed by his ability and skill to bring two very reluctant parties to the negotiating table and eventually persuade them to resolve their differences.”
- “Did a brilliant job on the day by keeping focus on quantum, which kept the parties talking even when we appeared poles apart.”
Feedback – Directories
- "… a skilled litigator, arbitrator and mediator of shipping disputes. Favoured by solicitors as he is really good to work with, and has a great response time."
- "… a measured and persuasive mediator who sources say is both an excellent lawyer and highly tactful. Solicitors favour him in a range of shipping, insurance, energy and international trade disputes."
- "20 Essex Street's David Owen QC has a broad mediation practice, with a particular focus on cases with an international element. His areas of expertise include shipping, trade, finance and general commercial disputes. Sources note his attention to detail and commercial mind-set."
Updated: September 2015