To contact or appoint Dorcas Crawford, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
(Non-Neutral work in italics)
Banking & Finance
- Assisted in a high value Banking dispute regarding interest swaps and penalty interest claims.
Construction & Engineering
- Mediator in a court-referred building dispute in the south of England between a customer and a builder involving considerable personal distress and difficult practical issues. The builder’s reputation was at stake and it was vital for him to avoid press coverage in a small town. On the other side the customers were aggrieved and needed a solution. The matter was resolved in half a day with practical solutions to the satisfaction of both parties.
Employment & Workplace
- Dispute between postal service provider and a sub-postmaster arising out of the use of the Horizon software system.
- Mediator in a £225,000 claim for professional negligence against a solicitor in a conveyancing matter involving a private client and the Professional Indemnity insurers, as well as the solicitor against whom the allegation of negligence was made. Whilst there were technical issues of causation involved, the most difficult aspect of this dispute was managing the feelings and emotions of an elderly party who felt personally aggrieved. No settlement was achieved on the day but the parties expressed their satisfaction that issues had been aired and narrowed which allowed subsequent progress to be made.
- Mediator in a long-running dispute for adverse possession between a former priest and the Diocese of Down & Connor – a high profile case referred by the Chancery Court in Belfast. This was a particularly emotionally charged case where relations had long since broken down and the stakes of a five day trial with press interest were extremely high. A two day mediation resulted in a resolution to the satisfaction of all the parties.
- Mediator in a court-referred mediation in the north of England involving a dispute over the lease of hotel premises and a claim for forfeiture - an £85 000 claim which resolved in half a day. The dispute involved two family businesses and a long-running feud where the risks of costs were enormous but feelings ran deep and had to be overcome.
- Mediator in a tax dispute between an individual tax payer and HMRC - the first of its kind in N.I. – several pre-mediation meetings and a full day’s mediation, with the parties meeting several days after to finalise an agreement.
Updated: March 2016