To contact or appoint Gillian Caroe, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
"Gillian has a natural ease and confidence in the role of the mediator and superb communication skills" - Client Feedback
Languages: English - Italian
Gillian Caroe has been a practising mediator since 2004. Throughout her mediator career she has been involved in successful mediations in both the public and private sectors. These mediations have related to a considerable variety of disputes across a range of sectors.
Before becoming a full time mediator Gillian had a successful career in international business with one of the world’s top companies where she worked in sales and marketing, new product development and HR. Through UK, European and Global HR roles, Gillian established a successful track record across a wide range of Employee Relations issues. She was responsible for delivering, to diverse client groups, a complete HR service including succession planning, recruitment, redundancies, disciplinary, grievances and dismissals.
Banking & Finance / Corporate Finance / Commercial Contract
- Dispute between well-known global bank and high-profile insurance company.
- Claim arising from alleged non-payment of invoices between two high-street motor businesses.
- Breach of contract claim between food manufacturer and packaging sub-contractor.
- Breach of contract claim between a car dealership and car manufacturer.
- Breach of contract case between a tyre manufacturer and a national tyre-fitting company.
- Breach of contract claim between a recruitment consultancy and a global engineering firm.
- Dispute between former employee and global bank in relation to an alleged overpayment following redundancy.
- Breach of contract claim between a recruitment consultancy and a high street enterprise.
- Directors of charity in dispute about management of funds.
- Dispute between co-workers affecting performance and morale.
- Bullying and harassment claim between a trainer and course delegate.
- Claim for unfair dismissal by former director of a charity.
Construction & Engineering
- Breach of contract claim between homebuilder and sub-contractor.
- Dispute between a homeowner and a builder about an extension.
- Relationship breakdown between two church leaders.
Employment & Workplace
Gillian has extensive expertise in the fields of employment and workplace mediation and a full and separate summary is available on request.
NHS & Healthcare
- Mediation between a senior clinician and NHS Foundation Trust over a long-term exclusion based on allegations of professional misconduct.
- Mediation between a senior clinician and NHS Foundation Trust over bullying and harassment claims and a sexual discrimination claim.
- Insurance company claimed damages from a bank following early termination of a policy.
Media & Entertainment
- Discrimination claim brought by a former employee of large media organisation.
Partnership & Shareholder / Joint Venture
- Dispute between co-owners of a pub about the termination of the partnership and ensuing financial implications.
- Mediation between two former partners of a property business regarding unpaid rental income and beneficial interest.
- Dispute between two owners (brothers) of an international business facing bankruptcy who had previously not been able to agree on the terms for an IVA.
- Discrimination claim brought by senior manager of a high profile pharmaceutical company.
- Claim for unpaid invoices by large solicitor firm and counter-claim for professional negligence.
- Claim and counter-claim were over £350,000.
Property / Planning / Environmental
- Breach of contract claim between firm of chartered surveyors and client.
- Boundary dispute between two neighbours over usage, surfacing and measurements of a shared access area.
- Breach of contract claim between a landlord and tenant where tenant was seeking damages because of alleged disrepair.
- Dispute between two neighbours over boundary, privacy issues and threatening behaviour.
- Breach of contract claim between a landlord and tenant in a prestigious residential area in central London.
- Dispute between two neighbours over a contested boundary which also gave rise to a harassment claim.
- Dispute between a school and an individual landowner regarding ownership of a piece of land including adverse possession.
- Long-running dispute between government department and former employee.
- Dispute between city council, county constabulary and organisers of a major event over public nuisance issues.
- Long running dispute between members of a Parish Council.
- Mediation between a sports club and a member whose relationship had broken down.
Trusts, Wills & Probate / Family Disputes
- Three-party dispute between the youngest child of the deceased, her two half-sisters and her stepmother. Mediation offered all parties the chance to explore and resolve very personal issues in a safe environment.
- A claim arising from alleged mismanagement of funds in the family business begun by a son of the deceased against his mother, sister and younger brother. Pre-mediation communication had been hostile and personal. Mediation allowed the family to agree a route forward that helped them to get on with their lives again.
- Many years of dispute between an uncle and his nephew regarding the estate of a deceased relative. Other family members were involved to varying degrees and despite the acute interpersonal difficulties a solution was agreed.
- Mediation between two former co-habitees who wished to have a facilitated discussion about the allocation of house sale proceeds (£1.5m) and chattels. The agreement covered all aspects of a financial settlement as well as addressing other issues relating to the relationship break up.
- Dispute between two brothers over their mother’s will. The mediation not only dealt with diverse financial issues but also enabled agreement on personal items that would not have been addressed at trial.
- Claim between partner and daughter of a man who died intestate regarding financial provision and personal items.
- Dispute between two brothers over a father’s will. The parties were helped to reach a financial settlement and also to agree a strategy for restoring relations that had completely broken down during the litigation process.
- Mediation between a separating husband and wife who wanted to ensure that an acrimonious split was avoided. The mediation covered all aspects of a division of assets including finances, the process (and proceeds) of a house sale and chattels.
- Mediation between extended family members and the partner of an individual who died intestate.
- Dispute between two former lovers one of whom had brought a claim for loan repayments and return of various personal items.
Feedback on Gillian's style praises her natural ease and her superb communication skills. She has an inherently engaging style which allows her to tackle volatile and seemingly intractable issues in a way that makes people feel safe. She has particular expertise in disputes where the parties have a need or desire to restore relationships. Gillian is able to flex her style according to the needs of the situation and can move confidently and appropriately between a facilitative and a directive style.
Feedback - Clients
- “I felt in safe hands.”
- “Helped reach agreement in a very tricky and politically sensitive matter.”
- “I felt heard and understood…thank you.”
- “Displayed impeccable discipline during the mediation process.”
- “Gillian has a very gentle, and yet professional style, which creates trust and rapport very quickly. Her non-judgmental and empathetic listening skills are second to none.”
- “Very skilled, very amenable, very wise.”
Feedback - Solicitors
- “You again performed admirably in settling a dispute that I felt was unlikely to settle.”
- “Your services were very much appreciated and, should I need a mediator again, you will be top of my list!”
- “My initial attitude to mediation was very negative. However … I was very surprised at how very productive it was.”
As well as being an experienced trainer and mediator, Gillian has also been asked to use her skills as a neutral in independent interventions such as assisted stakeholder dialogue, brokered talks, independent review and relationship building. She has been recommended for her ability to facilitate meetings that address interpersonal difficulties where constructive on-going relationships are vital. She has experience of multi-party and team disputes and brings great tact and reassurance when dealing with highly sensitive issues.
Skills and Interests
Gillian is regularly invited to design and deliver training in mediation and conflict resolution. Clients include solicitors, barristers, HR Managers, large organizations and CIPD. Her workshops on ‘Mediation for Lawyers’ have been accredited by The Law Society. She is a featured contributor to the book ‘The Spirit at Work Phenomenon’ (Azure 2004) and has been invited to speak about mediation on BBC Radio.
Gillian has a degree in Modern and Medieval Languages from Cambridge University and speaks competent French and fluent Italian. Outside of work she enjoys hiking, tennis and drinking wine in the country of origin.
Updated: October 2015