To contact or appoint Heather Allen, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Banking & Finance
- Exit negotiated with member of senior management team of major bank.
- Claim by widow of an employee that the bank had caused husband’s suicide.
- Dispute between a money market trader and a foreign bank over millions of pounds of claimed bonus payments following termination of contract.
- Commercial tax disputewhere it was alleged that non-cooperation had cause financial losses and embarrassment with the Revenue for a multi-national company.
- Heather was one of the mediators selected for the successful 2015 NHSLA pilot scheme; she is now a member of CEDR’s specialist clinical negligence panel
- Claim by a deceased’s family regarding delay providing care following a heart attack
- Claim by a parent against multiple agencies after an adult child died while in custody Several complex multi-disciplinary claims where women’s health was allegedly damaged as a result of poor care before and during childbirth, including issues of options advice, consent and poor outcomes from emergency treatment
- Claim against a mental health trust for failing to prevent C’s suicide attempt, resulting in very serious permanent injury
- Multi-million pound birth injury claims with parents and clinicians present
- Claim against a mental health facility where as an inpatient, it was alleged, C had been exposed to an unsafe environment and was seriously assaulted
- Claim by a woman following allegedly negligent care before and during her pregnancy when it was known that she had suffered FGM as a child
- Claims arising from her child’s still-birth including a massive obstetric haemorrhage, additional surgery and hospitalisation and psychiatric injury
- Claim by patient whose transplanted organ was damaged during unrelated surgery, resulting in a significantly accelerated need for a further transplant
- Care and treatment package disputes between families and public bodies including related to funding. For example, differences within a clinical claims about the treatment needs of a disabled child; a parent and a local authority disagreeing about accommodation needs for an adult child without capacity; and a family and local authority disagreed about schooling provision
- Heather is also familiar with NHS and healthcare structures having handled many employment and whistle-blowing claims in that sector, at all staffing levels, and facilitated resolution of disputes between NHS CEOs/Trusts
- In the 1990s Heather worked pro bono for several years as a conciliator of NHS complaints between patients and primary health care professionals and/or related hospital services and/or the Health Authority itself.
- Alleged breach of contract between owner (engineer/designer) and distributor in highly specialised security-related field.
- Dispute over the termination of contract between a school and a nursery business to provide kindergarten services in which the school wanted to terminate a fixed-term contract early.
- Alleged breach of contractwith a counterclaim for non-payment of fees, between a retailer and an E-advertising agency.
- Dispute between a magazine publisher and a printer regarding product quality distribution errors and outstanding invoices.
- Breach of contract dispute between an advertising agency and a video production company regarding specification and quality.
- Commercial contract dispute between European manufacturer and their South American distributors.
- Dispute between franchisee and franchisor relating to breach of the franchise agreement, ending of leases, stock values, unfair terms and fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Acrimonious building dispute between building firm and householder.
- Breach of commercial contract claim by e-advertising company against retailer Claim against local authority for unpaid invoices on very large supply of services contract.
Construction - domestic
- Several acrimonious disputes settled between builders or building firms and householders
Employment & workplace
Heather has expertise in resolving complex employment disputes, both contractual and involving allegations of harassment, discrimination, and whistle-blowing and victimisation. These are often substantial claims in the commercial, public authority, higher education and health sectors; several with an international element.
- A dispute between a long-serving member of staff and a global company related to alleged agreed arrangements for return to work after maternity leave, including allegations of sex discrimination and discrimination connected with maternity and pregnancy, and unfair constructive dismissal.
- Sex discrimination claim by a vice-president employee of a bank against her manager, and further claims against the bank for the way her grievance and appeal had been handled.
- Race and sex discriminationclaims against a high profile public authority in which mediation offered a unique opportunity to open negotiations on severance, not available as a remedy for either party through the impending proceedings.
- Age discrimination claim by two directors of an e-business.
- Race and sex discrimination claim involving whistle blowing issues as well as harassment claims.
- Disability Discrimination allegations against a professional body and several senior executives by a member over its refusal to offer employment.
- Claim by two ex-employees against government department for race and sex discrimination.
- Claim for disability discrimination against a water authority.
- Claims against universities involving senior academics.
- Dispute between insurer and senior legal advisor who claims constructive unfair dismissal, sex discrimination and victimisation.
- Neutral chair for a large university departmental meeting involving SMT and senior national union representatives following the outcomes of a series of grievances.
- Internal grievance against a university Head of Department by several members of staff, with Union involvement. Over two (short) days, mediated a withdrawal of the grievances with an action plan for future working.
- Claim for personal injury and breach of contract by a Head of Department against a university, naming the Vice-Chancellor, amongst others, as a defendant.
- Claim by two ex-employees against government department for breach of contract in relation to pension rights.
- Experienced in working with formal and informal methods of calculating pension loss, as employment cases often involve claimed pension rights.
- Internal dispute between a manager and senior staff member, involving a number of themes, which was difficult for the individuals and disruptive for the organisation- settled over two weeks with 10 hours of contact.
Inheritance, Wills & Probate
- Claim by a step-mother for reasonable provision against three surviving grown-up children from a previous marriage who were the beneficiaries of the father’s will
- A claim by a large charity against the estate of a deceased and his two adult children for unpaid contractual fees for residential care services
- Dispute involving a non-family member claiming on the basis of care provided to the deceased over many years
- Contested will dispute between four siblings regarding their mother’s estate including a farm and other property
- Dispute between a brother and sister over the division of property and other assets left to them by their deceased father where the instructions in the will were contested as ambiguous
- Claim by one sibling against two others seeking a variation in the father’s Will in her favour on the basis of need.
NHS & Healthcare
- A mediation about the interpretation of a significant part of a 10-year contract between a local authority and a group of care service provider businesses was settled over one day, thus avoiding the need for judicial review
- Internal dispute at a large Health Care Centre involving clinical and non-clinical staff
- Dispute between a local Authority and a parent about the living arrangements for an adult child with learning difficulties
- Partnership dispute at a GP practice settled with three meetings over several weeks
- Dispute between a UK County Council and a private care provider over the cost of care provided to the elderly under contract
- See also Clinical Negligence above
- Claim for damages against a professional body by a member who alleged that it had failed to determine a third-party complaint properly, resulting in substantial financial loss and stress to the claimant member
- Claim by two private clients against a firm of solicitors
- Claim by a city law firm partner against an architect and building contractors in relation to a high value domestic building contract
- Claim against chartered surveyors for substantial alleged losses resulting from the alleged mismanagement of property and the premature surrender of keys
- Claim by a business against two separate firms of solicitors
- A highly-charged dispute between a LiP and a commercial premises neighbour on - a claim under the Protection form Harassment Act where an interim injunction was already in place, considerable costs had been expended, and the case had been set down for a 5-day trial. Settled in one day.
- Landlord and tenant/leaseholder dispute between a freehold company and nine claimants. The dispute dated back 11 years, proceedings had first been issued six years prior and settlement was reached between all parties over two days of mediation. Terms included compensation levels, on-going management issues and a detailed schedule of agreed works.
- Dispute following the sale of property over the division of proceeds between purchase funder and former tenant.
Public Sector and Police
- Claim against trustee of a public body following erroneous allocation of grant funding.
- Claim by senior employee against local authority for defamation.
- False Imprisonment, trespass, personal injury and malicious prosecution claims against police authorities.
- Claim by public authority for breach of contract against supplier following a fund-raising campaign.
- Dispute between a local authority and the family of a vulnerable adult over appropriate care provision.
- Long standing claim by a police officer against a member of the public, and counter claim by the individual, for malicious prosecution following a road traffic incident.
Shareholder and Partnership
- Mediated the break-up of a publishing business, including division of customers, intellectual property, buildings and other assets
- Dispute following the breakdown of relationships, personal and business, between joint property owners in UK and abroad
- Claim in deceit by ex-husband, following a paternity suit, for restitution of significant funds expended on children over many years
- Re-established working relations between company board members (including family members), including a specific dispute between two of the Directors. Solution included redesigning communication methods and the way that Board meetings are run
- Negotiated departure of a Partner from a law firm including issues of fiduciary duty and transfer of client work
- Mediated the amicable break-up of a telecoms company with its two founders
Trusts, Wills & Probate
- A claim by a large charity against the estate of a deceased and his two adult children for unpaid fees for services.
- Dispute between a brother and sister over the division of property and other assets left to them by their deceased father where the Will instructions were not clear.
- Claim by a step-mother for reasonable provision against three surviving grown-up children from a previous marriage who were the beneficiaries of the father’s Will.
- Inheritance dispute involving a non-family member claiming on the basis of care provided over a number of years.
- Claim by one sibling against two others seeking a variation in the father’s Will in her favour on the basis of need.
- Contested Will dispute between four siblings regarding their mother’s estate including a farm and other property.
Updated: July 2018