James Corbett QC
To contact or appoint James Corbett QC, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
(non-mediation work in italics)
Banking & Finance
- Representation of hedge fund administrator in US$350 million+ dispute pending in the London International Arbitration regarding services to Bermuda based hedge fund.
- Representation of a minority shareholder hedge fund in an unfair prejudice claim relating to the management of a leading health services provider.
- Representation of a U.S. hedge fund in litigation in the Cayman Islands against other investors relating to disputes over joint investments in South America.
- Representation of third party/appellant in bankruptcy litigation in the Court of Appeal in London arising out of concealed beneficial ownership of foreign assets.
- Representation of a majority shareholder of a PRC real estate holding company incorporated in the Cayman Islands in a dispute with several U.S. banks over potential default of a US $500 million credit facility.
- Representation of the bankruptcy estate of a Hong Kong company in relation to tracing and recovery of US $200 million+ allegedly transferred from the company, involving work in both BVI and Cayman Islands.
- Representation of a trustee in a multi-million dollar trust claim in the Royal Court of Jersey against a trust company in Anguilla (with various interim and Beddoe applications in Anguilla).
- Advice on the law of the British Virgin Islands, Anguilla and St Kitts and Nevis to U.S. Federal Courts in Texas and California in high-end commercial litigation.
- Representation of an African financial institution in a letter of credit dispute against a bank involving approximately £18 million in controversy.
- Representation of an institutional note holder in a dispute against a servicer arising out of an underperforming structured loan to a real estate project in the United Kingdom.
- Representation of claimants in a dispute in Anguilla involving shares worth up to US $200 million.
- Multi-party dispute related to share sale warranties.
- Claim arising out of a contract of sale of a livestock which was later found to have a respiratory disease.
- Dispute arising out of the wrongful possession of land supposedly abandoned and fraud.
- Representation of claimant in a multi-million pound claim and counterclaim between a US international franchisor and its London franchisee
- Representation of a client in ICC arbitration proceedings in New York relating to an alleged breach of contract, involving more than £60 million in controversy.
- Representation of a high technology reseller company in the Middle East against a U.S. company in ICC arbitration proceedings in London arising from allegations of unfair competition involving more than £70 million in controversy.
- Representation of a large multinational company in proceedings against a Northern European mobile communications company involving allegations of unfair competition and intellectual property issues.
- Fiduciary duty claim against a receiver in Grand Cayman and the joint official liquidators.
Partnership & Shareholder
- Partnership dispute between three former partners of a manufacturing company.
- Multi-party shareholders dispute related to issues of controlling interests in the company.
- Claim by a client against his former solicitors for negligent advice in respect of the execution of an option agreement for the purchase of land.
- Multi-party action for negligence in the preparation of a mortgage valuation.
- Representation of claimant in an action in St Kitts & Nevis for specific performance of a contract for the sale of land.
Trusts, Wills & Probate
- Representation of protector of US $400 million+ offshore trust in resisting U.S./onshore efforts at freezing and forfeiting assets, involving parallel proceedings in the U.S. and Cayman Islands courts, as well as Switzerland and Italy.
- Representation of several hedge funds in disputes against U.S. and English trustees of structured investments with respect to compelling investigation of non-conforming loans.
- Representation of Jersey trustees in a multi-million pound dispute between a third party investor, beneficiaries and the trustees, in which the English High Court gave a landmark decision on the meaning and effect under English law of the obligation to procure contractual performance.
- Representation of beneficiaries in claims in the Royal Court of Jersey against Jersey trustees in respect of advancements and appointments of worldwide assets to other beneficiaries.
- Representation of California-based trustees appointed under will trust governed by law of Anguilla in dispute about ownership of world-famous liquor brand, involving trial and appeal in Anguilla courts.
- Representation of the Attorney General of New Jersey in asset recovery dispute governed by trust law of Nevis, the Bahamas and United States.
- Representation of trustee in dispute over ownership of port facility in the Bahamas, involving proceedings in the Bahamas and the Cayman Islands.
Updated: April 2017