To contact or appoint James South, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email email@example.com
- Publishing dispute and claim for breach of contract by English company against a Spanish not-for-profit organisation. Mediation partly conducted in Spanish.
- Claim by a British Company against Austrian suppliers for breach of contract and negligence.
- Dispute between main contractor and sub-contractor on £50 million international development project in South Asia.
- Breach of contract claim between British Government department and international consulting company in respect of a £1million International development project in Asia.
Employment & Workplace
- Claim of racial discrimination and breach of contract by an individual against a large corporation.
- Dispute between University and students involving issues of harassment and racial discrimination.
- Claim for unjustified dismissal resulting from a suspension of an employee following disciplinary proceedings.
- Claim of religious discrimination in the work place.
- Workplace dispute between large government department and an employee based on discrimination.
ICT – Information Communications & Technology
- Claim for negligence and breach of contract in the installation of imaging equipment to a chain of veterinarian practices.
- Claim by a Bank through insurers, against main contractor, sub-contractor and supplier due to damage caused by faulty installation of equipment at their computer centre.
- Claim against Insurers for non-payment under a policy, where insurers were denying cover.
- Dispute between claimants and insured defendants for negligent installation of equipment, represented by insurance company, who then joined the leasing company as part 20 defendants.
International Development Work
- Project Director for development of mediation pilot in the Commercial Court of Zagreb, Croatia, funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (2005-07).
- Project Technical Director for the establishment of a mediation pilot in Karachi Pakistan, funded by the International Finance Corporation/World Bank (2006-08).
- Capacity building in Kiev, Ukraine as part of a project for the resolution of Corporate Governance Disputes, funded by the Word Bank/ IFC (2008).
- Advisor to Ministries of Justice in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Macedonia on development of action plan as part of 5-year strategy for Justice (2008 –2010).
- Delivery of training to Hong Kong Judiciary and Court staff as part of preparation for new ADR provision of their Civil Justice Rules (2009).
- Delivered mediation advocacy training to lawyers in U.K, Ireland and Hong Kong (2009).
- Consultant to the World Bank, Washington DC, in the development of best practice in designing ADR projects in developing countries (2009-2010).
- Conflict management and negotiation training to many organisations including BBC, NATO, European Bank of Reconstruction and Development and Intercontinental Hotel Group, in Belgium, Austria, and China.
- Claim by a homeowner for negligence and breach of contract by builder. Counterclaim by defendant for unpaid invoices.
- Dispute between claimant landlord for payment of rent arrear and possession. Counterclaim for breach of implied covenant and set off for compensation for inconvenience and distress. Relationship between the parties was strained due to previous incidents, which raised difficult issues of power imbalance during the mediation.
- Dispute in relation to the dimension of a parcel of land sold by the defendant to the claimant.
- Boundary dispute between neighbours who had originally been friends but relationship had deteriorated to the extent that there had been criminal allegations involving the police.
- Dispute between local authority and contractor in relation to the provision of rubbish collection services.
- Claim by a school against a local authority in relation to non-provision of funding for key services.
Sale of Good and Services
- Contractual dispute and counterclaim for breach of contract and negligence over failure of storage system in a warehouse.
- Claim for unpaid invoices which set off a counterclaim for damages caused by alleged failure of delivery up and resulting loss of profits.
- Supply of goods claim for breach of contract and a £500,000 counterclaim for loss of profits.
- Multi-party dispute with a claim by a major bank against contractors and sub-contractors for negligence in the installation of computer equipment.
- Claim for breach of contract for the supply of printing equipment and ongoing maintenance services.
- Claim by a Finance company against individual defendant for non-payment under a finance agreement for a luxury sports car. The Defendant included the suppliers of the good into the action and claimed against them for breach of contract and defective goods.
Updated: August 2015