To contact or appoint Jason Reeves, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email email@example.com
“Weighed up the situation well and used the time available to the best effect.” - Mediation Feedback
Jason Reeves is a practising solicitor in the United Kingdom and a licensed attorney in the state of Texas, USA. Before embarking on his legal career Jason was an in-house CEDR mediator and advisor and he has mediated hundreds of disputes on a broad variety of claims.
His legal practice focuses on complex insurance disputes and Competition Law and Jason has returned to the United Kingdom to head the London office of Zelle Hofmann Voelbel & Mason LLP which will open in January 2013.
Jason is an attorney with the U.S. law firm Zelle Hofmann Voelbel & Mason LLP and has also worked as an English solicitor with leading firms in the U.K. He primarily handles first-party insurance coverage and subrogation disputes involving energy, property, power, engineering, and industrial risks that often include complicated business interruption issues. Jason also has experience of disputes involving third-party coverage and defense, EU Competition, product liability, transport, political risk, credit risk, commodities, employment and general commercial issues.
(Non-Neutral work in italics)
- Mediated a number of breach of contract claims between English companies.
- Contractual and payment dispute between an institutional investor and the operator of a number of private care homes in England.
Construction & Engineering
- Claim and counterclaim between a contractor and subcontractor concerning the construction of facilities for a major central London landmark.
- Claim and counterclaim between a construction firm and a pub landlord concerning inadequate and incomplete building work and breach of contract.
Employment & Workplace
- Claim between employees arising out of a breakdown of relationships on behalf of their employer.
- Harassment, discrimination and constructive dismissal claims made by a civilian employee against a U.K. Police Force.
ICT – Information, Communication & Technology: Dispute between an IT consultant and a software/web design company concerning the failure to meet a software design specification and timeline.
Insolvency: Represented liquidators in respect of the insolvency of an English company controlled by Russian interests. Creditors and interested parties with opposing and local counsel in Houston, New Orleans, Russia, Norway, Singapore and England. Ad hoc arbitration in Russia and London in respect of five seismic streamer losses in the Indian Ocean.
Jason is primarily an insurance coverage lawyer. He routinely handles disputes involving complex insurance coverage claims and has experience of large value Competition Law claims. He is familiar with the applicable procedural law and relevant legal decisions under English law with ATE, Third Party claims, waiver and estoppel.”
- Negotiating the purchase and subsequent pre-April 1 2013 amendment of a multi-million dollar ATE policy in connection with follow-on Competition Law claims. Claim brought by a policyholder concerning the interpretation of policy conditions and exclusions.
- LMX reinsurance dispute between a Scandinavian cedant and a London market insurer.
- Defence of an international insurance market in ARIAS arbitration in London under Delaware law in connection with a multi-hundred million dollar Gulf Coast refinery dispute.
- Defending Bermudian insurers in a series of London arbitrations under U.S. law following property insurance claims after Hurricane Ike and other weather events in the U.S. and Caribbean.
- Subrogation counsel in a $5 million power plant loss in Nevada, a $20 million Hurricane Isaac commercial property loss, and a construction project loss in Washington, D.C.
- Represented a global insurance market in ad-hoc London arbitration under New York law following a $500 million business interruption claim from a Gulf Coast refinery.
- Coverage advice for London market insurers in connection with an explosion at a chemical plant following a power outage.
- Represented U.S. domestic insurers in the resolution of a series of Hurricane Ike property claims from a risk purchasing group(s).
- Coverage advice for a London insurer in connection with a turbine failure attributed to the lack of compliance with a turbine manufacturer’s Long Term Service Agreement.
- Represented international insurance markets on well blow-out losses in Texas. (Coverage and defense of insured.)
- Represented international property insurance market in a £15m ICC arbitration concerning a heavy engineering claim against German manufacturers of an insured cement plant in England.
- Defended London market insurers against a large international bank in a AAA arbitration against a US$20m claim for expropriation and devaluation following emergency legislation in Argentina in 2002.
- Loss and valuation of photographic negatives of one of the best-known English composers of the 20th century.
- Recovery counsel for a North American headquartered multi-national in connection with a multi-hundred million dollar EU Competition claim.
Professional Negligence: Claim and counterclaim concerning professional negligence and non-payment of invoices involving a firm of solicitors and an English company.
Personal Injury: Claim brought by a resident against a self-insured London local authority.
- Dispute concerning ownership of a large family home in London
- Neighbourhood: Mediated a broad range of housing disputes between neighbours (private and commercial).
- Dispute between an unmarried couple after the relationship ended concerning the valuation and ownership of property and chattel.
Public Sector: Private Citizens claim against an U.K. Police force over allegations of unlawful arrest, abuse and personal injury.
Sale of Goods & Services
- Claim concerning the manufacture and supply of bespoke ceramic vessels by a London manufacturer and a well-known exclusive London retailer.
- Dispute concerning a contract for the provision of professional publications between a large publishing house and a West End firm of solicitors.
Shipping: Marine dispute concerning the failure of critical navigation equipment aboard a vessel in the Bay of Biscay.
Plain spoken and energetic, Jason easily wins the trust and confidence of lawyers and laypeople. He engages in extensive pre-mediation contact and facilitates constructive communication. Jason conducts tough reality testing while maintaining relationships. He is particularly skilled at dealing with hostile parties involved in difficult disputes.
- “He was very good at making the appropriate points, got parties to focus very quickly and all in a civilised way.”
- “My client is very satisfied. We would be happy to use him again for any dispute as he seemed to be a very experienced lawyer and is also very personable.”
- “I was very impressed with his approach and would be happy to use him again.”
- “He put pressure on the parties when needed and handled it appropriately.”
- “He was not aggressive, but very realistic and added realism to the process.”
- “Weighed up the situation well and used the time available to the best effect.”
- “He made us feel very comfortable and was very reassuring.”
- “Thought he was fair, direct and straight to the point.”
Updated: October 2015