To contact or appoint Jeremy Connell, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
"He was very professional, was a wonderful listener and he built up trust very, very quickly" - Client Feedback
Languages: English - Portuguese
Jeremy acquired his mediation skills through a unique combination of experiences - in business, the Foreign Service, the legal profession, as well as individual coaching and counselling. He has built a formidable reputation for enabling senior individuals and organisations to resolve disputes and most of his mediation assignments come about through personal recommendation. Jeremy’s strong cross-cultural and team-building skills combined with his commercial awareness are key elements of his success.
A trained lawyer, Jeremy worked in the Diplomatic Service and with international law firm Hogan Lovells before co-founding Hakluyt & Co, a market leader in the provision of strategic business intelligence and advice worldwide to senior management of multinational companies. At Hakluyt, He was responsible for running tailored and confidential projects in China and other parts of the Asia Pacific region. He retired from the company at the end of 2013 in order to focus on his life coaching, counselling and mediation practice.
Aviation: Dispute between a recruitment agency and a supplier to the aerospace industry over a transfer fee for a contractor.
- A substantial claim over the termination of a regional sales concession.
- A dispute over debt and customer relations issues between a major bank and a longstanding customer.
- A dispute between a multinational manufacturer and a Portuguese distributor over termination of an exclusive distribution agreement.
- Dispute between a Healthcare Trust and a Facilities Management provider of hotel services over the value of equipment included in the FM contract for which the Trust was liable.
- Claim by a postgraduate student that a university was negligent in supervising his doctorate and in handling his initial complaint to the university following a failed viva voca.
- Grievances and a general breakdown of relations between a professor and other senior academic and administrative staff at a university. Reconciliation and agreement on specific preventive measures for the future.
- A claim by a student against a university for unfair termination of his PhD under the Department for Constitutional Affairs’ “Visitor” Scheme.
- Compensation claim by a student against a university for damage to her health and delay to the completion of her PHD due to alleged discrimination, bullying and harassment by the university. Settlement included an appropriate plan for the student to complete her studies.
- Appeal by a course director at a city university against a finding of bullying after an internal investigation by the director of teaching staff.
- Claim against a college for alleged discrimination and a breach of data protection rules damaging the claimant’s reputation and career prospects.
- Compensation claim by a student against a university for alleged lack of support and guidance and a failure to follow appropriate procedures.
- Compensation and lost earnings claim by a PhD student against a university for negligence and breach of contract due to the university’s alleged failure to adequately supervise him or provide adequate resources.
- Damages claim for breach of contract and/or negligence after the suspension of a university student from an osteopathy course.
- Claim by a group of students against a university and guild of students on the grounds of racial and religious discrimination. Settlement included provisions designed to prevent similar claims arising in the future.
- Claim for disability discrimination over a student’s exclusion from a City College.
- Dispute between a university and a former employee over repayment of a loan for further education.
- A personal injury dispute between a university and a student over compensation and other remedies following the decision of a viva panel to fail his thesis which triggered long term mental health problems.
Employment & Workplace
- Breach of Contract
- Claim for damages for breach of contract by a property management company against a former employee dismissed for gross misconduct.
- Compensation claim (worth nearly £300,000) by a senior civil servant against a major government department for damage to his health due to bullying and harassment by a superior which led to the claimant being unable to continue in his job.
- Workplace dispute between a project coordinator and the head of services at a major city advice centre for alleged bullying.
- Claim by a team leader of a UK care and welfare organisation for unfair dismissal on the grounds of disability discrimination.
- Claim against a leading professional association for discrimination in relation to recruitment and short-listing for a senior management role.
- Claim against a county council for disability discrimination due to an alleged failure to make reasonable adjustments for an employee suffering from anxiety and depression.
- Claim for discrimination, victimisation and harassment by the former senior partner of a medical practice and for payment of her share of the value of partnership assets.
- Compensation claim against a foreign embassy by a former employee for alleged bullying and discrimination.
- A disability discrimination claim by an employee against a leading UK sports organisation.
- A disability discrimination claim by a senior official against two NHS bodies. Agreement provided for a review of procedures in relation to disability and grievances.
- A longstanding claim by an employee against a Sixth Form College for discrimination on the grounds of the college's failure to make reasonable adjustments for the employee's disability.
- Claim against a criminal justice support services organisation for unfair dismissal on the grounds of misconduct.
- Claim against British Transport Police for constructive dismissal on the grounds of sexual discrimination.
- Relationship Breakdown
- Facilitation to resolve a dispute between three counselling supervisors in a national charity, avoiding the need for implementation of a formal grievance procedure. Resolution in the equivalent of one day included agreement on essential internal team-building steps for the future.
- Highly charged dispute following the breakdown of relationships between two directors and a senior manager of an innovative international company, including sexual harassment and data protection issues.
- Dispute between two employees of a professional association, whose relationship had broken down disrupting performance and teamwork.
- Workplace dispute over the handling of children with behavioural problems.
- Acrimony between a senior manager and an employee following a grievance process.
- Dispute between an advertising agency and a professional services firm over an alleged flagrant breach of copyright.
- Damages claim by a search engine optimisation firm against an international real estate company and counter claim for breach of contract.
Media & Entertainment: Dispute between a licensor of 3D systems to cinema companies and a licensee over contractual terms and moneys due.
Professional Negligence: Claim by a lawyer for payment of unpaid bonuses and counter claim by his firm for professional negligence and consequential losses.
- A £400,000 claim against contractors for fire damage to real property.
- A protracted dispute between a housing authority and a long-term tenant.
- Claim in excess of £500,000 against an insurance company for failure to meet a buildings subsidence claim in dispute for nearly ten years.
- A claim for compensation under the Data Protection Act, involving senior civil servants in a leading government department.
- A case of wrongful arrest, unlawful detention and malicious prosecution against the police on the grounds of racial discrimination.
Sale of Goods & Services
- Claim against a private banker and adviser for repayment of monies paid to him, totalling more than £300,000 including interest and legal costs.
- Compensation claim by a sub-contractor against a contractor over payment for landscape gardening services and counter claim for breach of contract.
- Claim by a postgraduate student that a university had been negligent in supervising his doctorate and in handling his initial complaint relating to this
- Dispute between the parties to an aircraft lease in relation to maintenance costs over a 2 year period.
- Claim by a student that a university had discriminated against him on the grounds of disability in terminating his studies and should readmit him to his course and pay compensation.
- Dispute between a university and a student over allegations of inadequate supervision and counter allegations of academic misconduct.
- Dispute between a premium drinks brand and its former distributor over compensation for early termination of a 5-year distribution agreement.
- Dispute between a law firm and clients over payment of fees.
Jeremy has an open and light touch approach to mediation, underpinned by his experience of handling high pressure situations and his determination to enable those involved to achieve a positive outcome. He has an exceptional ability to establish constructive rapport with different parties by building trust using his acute understanding of the role of pace in conflict resolution. A combination of listening and quiet but firm intervention enables him to achieve results.
- “The mediator explained the process very well and was very keen to grasp our understanding of it. He was very sympathetic to both parties and facilitated discussion very well which allowed and encouraged open dialogue.”
- “He was very good. I thought he engaged well with the parties. He was good at getting people together and encouraged the process to move forward quickly.”
- “Nice guy, very good bedside manner…but he was also very keen to broker a deal and made sure this happened. We would definitely recommend him.”
- “The rapport Jeremy Connell created was excellent, all round excellent. He was the best choice and didn’t disappoint in any way shape or form! He transcended several levels – from the client, to the bank, to the in–house lawyers.”
- “We thought Jeremy was very good, he coaxed the parties into coming to an understanding.”
- “There were times...when it got particularly tense, and during those times he introduced an element of calm into the proceedings.”
- “He was extremely professional, made everyone feel at ease and, in particular, made me feel comfortable. I was really apprehensive before the mediation...but everything was explained well to me.”
- “Jeremy was marvellous and did an excellent job. I felt very well listened to.”
- “I felt the mediator was productive, amenable and had a very good grasp of all the issues.”
- “Jeremy was superb. The mediation lasted 12 hours and was very gruelling. Jeremy held the whole thing together.”
- “Jeremy was very good - he was particularly good at listening to the grievances of the other side but was also quite firm with them…he was very effective at reality testing. He was good with my client and developed a relationship of trust so they were able to share information with him, feeling this would remain confidential to the other side.”
- “Mr Connell is a first rate mediator. He is a very good communicator. I have no hesitation in using him again.”
- ”Did well to deal with a sticky situation where the other side was quite entrenched in its position already.”
Project Management Experience
- Construction/Engineering: Particular focus in relation to petrochemical plants, power generation and distribution, mining projects and the extraction/production of strategic metals;
- Financial: Including projects for a major international bank with interests in the Asia Pacific region;
- Fund management: Assessing joint venture arrangements and strategic options for China market entry for an international fund management company;
- ICT: Five years managing the account of a leading multinational service provider;
- Insurance: Managing projects to assess the opportunities and risks for both international life and non-life insurers in China;
- Intellectual Property: Handling a variety of issues for a global manufacturer and supplier of scientific equipment and services;
- Manufacturing/Retail: Including aerospace, aviation, automobile, telecom and tobacco sectors;
- Mining: Including investigation and assessment of major alumina, coal and zinc interests and projects;
- Partnership: Working closely with partners in a wide range of disciplines while managing the marketing and business development of a major international professional services firm. First-hand experience from jointly establishing an international consultancy as a partnership before subsequent incorporation;
- Petrochemicals: Several assignments analysing commercial and political aspects of substantial petrochemical projects;
- Scientific equipment: Focus on management and distribution arrangements in China for a leading international manufacturer;
- Security: Examining Chinese tender requirements for the supply of specialised equipment for the 2008 Olympic Games;
- Transport and logistics: Advising a major logistics company on prospects for winning a large infrastructure project in Beijing.
2013 to date: Managing a private life coaching, counselling and mediation practice serving business and professional clients in demanding jobs who face life or career crises and transitions and relationship issues.
1995-2013: A founding partner/director of Hakluyt & Co, market leader in the provision of strategic business intelligence and advice worldwide to senior management of multinational companies. He specialised in managing bespoke projects in multiple industry sectors in China and elsewhere in the Asia Pacific region.
1990-1995: Head of Marketing and Public Relations for Hogan Lovells, the international law firm, reporting to the managing partner. Built and managed a versatile professional team to advise and support the partnership, commissioned and implemented influential market research and trained/coached partners and staff throughout the firm in all aspects of business development.
1982-1990: Member of HM Diplomatic Service (First Secretary, Grade 5 level), specialising in various aspects of European, Former Soviet Union and Middle Eastern affairs. As Secretary of the Diplomatic Association in Portugal in 1986, during a posting to Lisbon, Jeremy managed a major fund raising project for a local charity, supported by the Portuguese president and prime minister. UK experience included extensive interdepartmental liaison on security matters between FCO, the Cabinet Office and major Whitehall departments.
1977-1981: Trained and practised as a lawyer at Drummond & Co WS and Balfour & Manson SSC in Edinburgh.
Other Professional Qualifications / Experience
As part of his continuing professional development, Jeremy has completed further CEDR structured training in the following areas:
- Mediation funding and costs issues;
- Law and Practice for non-lawyer mediators;
- Court Scheme Mediation: working with court mandates and time limits.
Jeremy is a UKRC Registered Independent Counsellor (BACP Accredited) and NLP Practitioner, with specialist training and experience in Stress Management, Person Centred Counselling, Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy, schema therapy and coaching. He has Worked in private practice and part time at a London medical surgery since 1998, helping patients from a variety of backgrounds to cope with personal and relationship problems and trauma. He is a member of the UK Psychological trauma society and is presently working towards a general certificate in psychotraumatology from the European society for traumatic stress studies.
Jeremy is a fluentPortuguese speaker (Diplomatic Service and British Council Language Training - higher standard).
Updated: April 2016