To contact or appoint Joanna Cavell, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email email@example.com
“Very astute as to the main issues and made really valuable contributions.” - Client Feedback
Having worked in the ADR field for over 20 years, Joanna Cavell has built invaluable expertise and knowledge of what makes mediation both a time and cost effective process. She has extensive experience in both face to face and telephone mediation across a wide spectrum of commercial sectors both public and private. Parties cite Joanna’s commercial astuteness, commitment and calm friendly manner as key attributes whilst helping them create workable commercial solutions.
Joanna’s background is in investor and public relations giving her an excellent abiltiy to communicate sensitively and effectively among differing stakeholders as well as the ability to grasp quickly the key issues that need to be addressed.
She frequently delivers seminars and training on mediation, negotiation and conflict management skills to lawyers and managers and is part of the CEDR Faculty responsible for coaching and assessing new mediators.
Charities: Independent Complaints Reviewer for the Charity Commission’s complaints procedure.
- A dispute following a company acquisition involving allegations about valuations and alleged misrepresentation by the vendor.
- Breach of contract regarding temp to perm agreement.
Construction & Engineering
- Building dispute following unpaid invoices and counterclaim for defective works.
- Dispute over the supply of air-conditioning units during hotel refit when two subcontractors went into receivership.
- Dispute between a sub-contractor and supplier of air-conditioning units for construction of a hotel.
- Two public sector bodies in disagreement over commissioned research projects.
- ICASO Adjudicator dealing with complaints made to Ofsted related to school inspections child care providers.
Energy & Natural Resources: Mediator of disputes under the Renewable Energy Assurance Scheme related to the installation of renewable energy systems including solar panels and wind turbines in residential properties.
- Landlord & Tenant
- Dispute over reassignment of lease involving allegations of harassment by both parties.
- Landlord and Tenant dispute regarding outstanding payments following alleged early termination of agreement.
- Adjudicator of tenancy deposit disputes under the tenancy deposit protection scheme.
- A number of tenancy mediations for a social housing mediation scheme.
- A claim for professional negligence against a solicitor and a counter claim for unpaid invoices.
- Claim against a recruitment consultancy.
Sale of Goods & Services
- Mediations involving breach of contract for non-payment of invoices for online marketing, recruitment and magazine advertising.
- Claim for unpaid invoices and counterclaim for lack of duty of care and consequent out of pocket and potential damage to business.
- Dispute regarding provision of candidate between public sector body and recruitment agency.
- Supply and maintenance of 8 non half hour (NHH) smart meters during 10 year period.
- Dispute between international estate agent and vendor/landlord involving a dispute over the commission following an agency agreement, tenancy deposit and fees following lease extension negotiations.
Her well-developed commercial knowledge and diplomatic skills mean Joanna is able to build rapport and trust with the parties early on in the process.
- “She was absolutely superb. Her style was friendly but confident, efficient and effective. …we would 'absolutely' use her again.”
- “She didn’t just act as a messenger - she made some really good suggestions.”
- “Although the mediation was not in Jo's area of expertise, she picked up on the issues very quickly and asked sensible questions.”
- “It was a pleasure to have her as a sounding board.”
- “The mediator did a fantastic job.”
- “[She] was very kind to me.”
- “Her sense of humour was a great asset …”
- “Your efforts to keep a few vociferous Yorkshiremen around the table was no mean feat and your handling of the day was greatly appreciated.”
- “A breath of fresh air.”
- “Thank you for your excellent mediation services. Your advice & your tips were invaluable and have been registered by my family and I.”
- “Her impartial support, and conviction that a resolution would be achieved.”
After graduating in European Studies, Joanna worked in an administrative capacity for Merchant Bank SG Warburg before moving to Paris in the mid 1980’s to work first for the ‘Chateaux’ division of Hampton & Sons and then to the Paris office of insurance broker Sedgwick PLC. Here she supported the team involved in consolidating communication and HR policies across the organisation’s newly acquired European offices.
On moving back to London, Joanna joined a City PR firm and gained the Stock Exchange Registered Representative status. As Director, Joanna led the firm’s investor relations and professional services work, advising both PLCs and private companies on their PR and IR strategies.
Her involvement with CEDR began in 1989 when, working with her client Eileen Carroll (largely accredited with putting mediation onto the lawyer’s agenda), she assisted in what was probably the first major awareness campaign of mediation. Ten years later, Joanna gave up her post as Director of a City PR firm to become a consultant assisting CEDR on building its marketing, business development and communications activities.
As a co-opted Governor to an over-subscribed Primary School, Joanna has successfully defended many admission appeal hearings.
Updated: July 2017