CEDR Panel member since 2013
After an extremely successful career culminating as a Senior Partner at one of the City's leading Law firms (Ince & Co), Jonathan made a decision to specialise independently in Mediation and Arbirtration, was subsequently called to the Bar and joined Chambers in 2013.
Jonathan is well placed to take on Mediation and Arbitration cases that require a highly skilled and personal approach. Jonathan has the ability to grasp the key issues of a case quickly. His vast experience and the range of Mediation and Arbitration cases handled have given him the tact and robustness that lead to a satisfactory conclusion, enabling all parties cost-effectively to put the case behind them and get on with their business.
Jonathan is one of the founder members of CEDR and is well known for the use of the ADR (Alternate Dispute Resolution) principle in resolving cases. His wise guidance, flexible approach and excellent communications skills as a team player make him the right choice for contentious or straightforward mediation cases.
He has lectured widely and written numerous articles on the subject of mediation, and is co-author of ADR and Commercial Disputes.
Jonathan was awarded Global Shipping & Maritime Lawyer of the Year for both 2010 and 2011 by Who's Who Legal. In December 2011 he featured in Lloyd's List of Top Ten Legal Personalities and was a finalist for the Lloyd's List global Shipping & Maritime Lawyer of the Year award 2012. In 2015 Jonathan was elected titulary member of the CMI.
Jonathan is also fully accredited by and a member of the International Mediation Institute.
Jonathan has received regular appointments as Arbitrator and Mediator both in relation to maritime disputes and international commercial law disputes more widely. He is a fluent French and German speaker, making him much in demand for national and international mediations.
Areas of Expertise
- Maritime / Shipping
- Energy Renewables and Off-Shore
- Commercial Contract and Tort Disputes
- Sale of Goods and International Trade
- Professional Negligence
- Carriage of Goods and Passengers by Air, Sea and Land
- Land and Property
- Personal Injury
- Accredited with the Academy of Experts, ADR Net and CEDR
- Fellow: Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member: British Academy of Experts
- Member: City UK Dispute Resolution Group
- Member: LMAA/Baltic Exchange Panel of Mediators
Panel of arbitrators and mediators
- China Maritime Arbitration Commission (CMAC)
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC)
- German Maritime Arbitration Association (GMAA)
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- Hungarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Malaysia - Member of Panel of Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration
- Shanghai Arbitration Commission
- Shanghai International Shipping Arbitration Court
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre
- Singapore Chamber of Maritime Arbitration
- Member: International Bar Association
- Past Chairman of Committee on Maritime and Transport Law and of Human Rights Institute's Committees on Legal Systems and trial obervations and interventions
- Co-Chairman of Corporate Social Responsibility Committee
- Former Co-Chairman: UK branch of British Chamber of Commerce, Germany
- Former Council member: British Chamber of Commerce in Germany
- Liveryman: Worshipful Company of Solicitors
- Awards judge: Lloyd's List Global Shipping Awards
- Freeman of City of London
- Honorary Consul to Cape Verde in London
Jonathan has particular expertise in bunkers and is the co-author of the leading legal text-book on bunkers - Fisher & Lux on "Bunkers" (now in its third edition). Jonathan has also co-authored and contributed to the following publications:
- ADR and Commercial Disputes (Sweet & Maxwell, 2003)
- The Law of Tug, Tow and Pilotage
- The Law and Practice of Marine Insurance and Average
- Classification Societies
- Maritime Law Handbook
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Expropriation of Oil and Gas Investments: Historical, Legal and Economic Perspectives in a New Age of Resource Nationalism, published by Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN), 2008
- Getting the Deal Through - Shipping
- Contributed chapter to book entitled: "The Role of Arbitration in Shipping Law" published by Oxford University Press, June 2016. As a matter of interest, the immediately preceding chapter is written by Sir Bernard Rix LJ (former Court of Appeal Judge)
- Responsible Business: How to Manage a CSR Strategy Successfully (Wylie, 2010)
- IBA E-Book: Mediation Techniques (2010)
- World Arbitration Reporter, Second Edition: Chapter on London Maritime Arbitrators' Association (2010)
- International Bar Association Series, Corporate Social Responsibility - The European Initiatives (Chapter 19)
1973: LLB Law Degree, Nottingham University- Honours + Exhibition
1974: DES (French Masters), University of Aix-Marseilles
1977: Solicitor, England & Wales
1986: Solicitor, Hong Kong
Fellowship of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Accredited as Mediator by CEDR, ADR Net & Academy of Experts, International Mediation Institute
2013: Called to Bar, Gray's Inn
- Jonathan has for many years written, lectured, chaired conferences, etc. His activities in 2016, apart from mediating and arbitrating, include the following:
- Participated in program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School Executive Education Course – June 2016;
- Chaired legal panel at Maritime Cyber Security Conference, London, 30/6/16;
- Published articles in the UK Mediation Journal; and
- Lecturer on International Commercial Arbitration to LLM students at Nottingham University.
Who's Who Legal
- Jonathan Lux draws praise for his mixed mediation practice that sees him handle international trade and shipping disputes, as well as general commercial mandates. According to one respondent, "Jonathan is personable and approachable, easy to work with and always efficient in his dealings with clients."
- '...the consistently positive feedback we received from our sources across the globe reflect Jonathan's exceptional talent and pre-eminence in the field.'
- Jonathan Lux, a 'highly skilled' and 'charismatic' practitioner with the ability to grasp the key issues very fast.
- Jonathan Lux is best known for taking on cases requiring a 'personal approach'. He is described as 'full of wisdom'.
Jonathan is recommended in the Legal 500 as a leading mediator.