To contact or appoint Kevin Smyth, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email email@example.com
- Admitted Solicitor of the Supreme Court - July 1973.
- Partner of Burt Brill & Edwards 1975-1986.
- A founding Partner of Burt Brill & Cardens 1986 to date and Head of Litigation since 1986 to 2016.
- A founding Director of Burt Brill & Edwards Limited in 2015.
- Special areas of practice during his career as a litigation solicitor: Commercial disputes, clinical negligence, personal injury, professional negligence, contested wills/probate cases, employment and family (financial provision).
- Member of the Court of Appeal’s Mediation Panel as from October 2003.
- Former Chairman of Legal Services Commission’s Funding Review Committee for the South-Eastern No 2 Area 1999/2000 and Joint Chairman of the Southern No 3 Area 2001;
- Formerly an Independent Adjudicator appointed by Legal Services Commission to determine Appeal and Review Applications (both Special Cases Unit high cost cases and non-SCU cases).
- February 2013 appointed to be a Member of the Legal Aid Agency’s Special Controls Review Panel and to be an Independent Adjudicator (effective 01.04.2013, retired March 2016).
Membership of Professional Organizations
- The Law Society
- The Civil Mediation Council
- Resolution (formerly Solicitors Family Law Association)
- Sussex Law Society (President 2015/2016)
Membership of Law Society Panels
- Civil / Commercial Mediation Panel (Practitioner Member since August 2002)
- Personal Injury Panel (May 1994 until April 2011)
- Family Law Panel (since June 1999 until May 2014)
ADR Training Provided / Publications in Professional Journals
- To the Sussex Law Society
- To the Brighton Area Office of the then Legal Services Commission (its Special Cases Unit for high cost cases)
- To the South Eastern Society of Chartered Accountants
- To Smith & Williamson’s Insolvency and Corporate Recovery Department (Southampton)
- To Martlets Hospice Senior Management and Clinical Teams
- To Clifford Dann LLP, Surveyors, Valuers and Auctioneers (Lewes)
- In-house training to the Litigation Fee-earners practising with Burt Brill & Cardens
- Article entitled “Mediation - The Benefits for Litigants and their CPR Obligations” published in The Legal Executive Journal November 2003
- Another entitled “Family Mediation-another way?” published in the Family Law Journal July 2010
- Other articles written for and seminars presented to local chambers of commerce and trade organisations
Non-professional / Additional Skills
Due to Directorships and Governorships as well as being an Honorary Solicitor to some of the organisations listed below, Kevin has gained operational day to day experience in the workings of many differing types of organisation and the need that they have from time to time for ADR.
- Under Sheriff 2018/2019 for West and East Sussex (Bailiwick of Sussex)
- Former Chairman of Governors, Worth School
- Current Board Advisor to Worth Abbey Ltd
- Current Director, Trustee and Company Secretary of the Martlets Hospice Limited
- Current Director and Trustee of the Jerwood Gallery
- Former Chairman and Director of the Friends of the Jerwood Gallery
- Current Director and Trustee of the Ditchling Museum of Art and Craft
- Former Director of Timberlane Properties PLC
- Former Honorary Solicitor to Crime Reduction Initiatives Ltd
- Former Honorary Solicitor to the Universities of Brighton and Sussex Catholic Chaplaincy Association
- Former Governor of Stoke Brunswick School Trust Ltd
Updated: June 2018