To contact or appoint Stephen Barker, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Stephen has a creative and facilitative style and works tirelessly to enable parties to find solutions to their problems, however complex. His dogged approach has resulted in a very high settlement rate in his mediations. He strives to provide a neutral, calm and professional space for the parties to explore the options for resolution working hard to uncover the underlying barriers and hidden opportunities by listening patiently and allowing people to explain their needs and concerns in private.
- "His calm approach helped him put the parties at ease, and he was able to quickly narrow the issues, he brings the consequences of going to trial to the clients in a friendly way." - Chambers Guide 2015
- "He gets people on his side; they trust him very quickly." - Chambers Guide 2016
- “One source praises his performance as "excellent, professional and impeccable," while another highlights his "thorough, relentless and tenacious" work. - Chambers Guide 2017
- “One market source highlights his "neutral, calm and creative" approach, and another reports: "He established a good rapport in the room and built confidence well." Sources consistently praise the balance he strikes between patience and pragmatism, saying: "He took the time to listen but was straight-talking in dealing with any of the parties' unrealistic expectations." - Chambers Guide 2018
Feedback – Clients
- “It is inherent in a mediation process that the involved parties rarely get exactly what they want but the end result is always dependent on the quality of the mediator. That quality shone through today.
- We were delighted at the outcome. I cannot stress enough the feeling of relief at the lifting of three years’ worth of harassment and constant pressure, which will now allow us to pursue our lives in a manner which we had thought would never return.”
- “Is it wrong to hope that your clients will bring you a litigation problem, just so you get the chance to work with someone who inspires you? This was my dilemma while at [ ]. Stephen's passion ……. makes working with him fun and exciting. If there is a hope, he will find it, sometimes in the most unusual places. But if there is no hope, he will tell you, but beautifully craft an exit that gets the best commercial outcome for the client. I loved working with Stephen, he inspired me … and continues to do so to this day.”
- “Stephen has mediated a case in which I was instructed as a barrister. His approach was very patient, measured and creative and we ended up with a good and workable compromise.”
- “Stephen achieved a settlement between two difficult clients with entrenched views. He was efficient and organised, he pitched the discussions at exactly the right level. He engaged with the client and kept the momentum going until the very end. I would highly recommend Stephen and would not hesitate to instruct him again.”
- “Mr Barker was astonishingly effective.”
Feedback – Directories (As a lawyer)
Chambers & Partners' Guide to the UK Legal Profession repeatedly rated Stephen in ‘Band 1’ as a Leading Individual and has said of him:
- "His "measured and sensible approach" convinces commentators that clients are in safe ands." 
- "Stephen Barker wins applause for his exceptional work."
- "A well established and respected practitioner."
- “Hard working and highly intelligent." 
- “An extremely good litigator with an astute business mind.” 
- "A-list player who has a good legal brain and brings incredible energy to his cases." 
Updated: May 2018