CEDR Panel member since 2017
Susan Francombe is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and has been accredited to CEDR as an Adjudicator and Arbitrator sine 2012.
She acts as an Adjudicator/Arbitrator on disputes ranging from statutory construction adjudication to consumer and industry panel arbitrations. She has been appointed on over 50 construction adjudications and on hundreds of consumer and industry arbitrations.
She also provides consultancy advice to companies and individuals on dispute resolution and dispute avoidance.
Dispute Resolution Experience
With a background in construction, building and engineering Susan has also gained experience in a variety of consumer and commercial disputes. Examples of the types of dispute she has been involved with include:
- Legal issues and contract interpretation
- Professional negligence
- Foundation design
- Piling works
- Final account matters
- Railway infrastructure
- Renewable energy
- Water treatment works
- Motor vehicle
- Travel industry
- Funeral services
- Office buildings
- Public sector
- Residential works
Background and Career summary
Susan provides her services under the name of No Red Tape, which sums up her objectives:
- to resolve or prevent disputes in a commercial and pragmatic way;
- to provide a good quality impartial and proportionate decision making service.
For appointments where procedures are not prescribed by the contractual framework, Susan is happy to work with parties to agree the most appropriate resolution procedure and fee structure.
Before becoming a full-time dispute specialist, she worked as in-house Counsel to Laing O’Rourke (2002-2012), providing legal and commercial advice to the business units of the international engineering and construction company. She was responsible for handling the resolution of numerous disputes ranging from a few thousand pounds to tens of millions.
Prior to that she was in-house Counsel to Aukett Europe (2000-2002), introducing formal risk management systems and ensuring corporate governance compliance to the listed property and construction design company.
Earlier positions include:
- Contracts Manager, Wren Managers Ltd – advising architects on professional indemnity issues.
- Lawyer, Hammond Suddards Solicitors - acting on contentious construction matters.
- Contracts Specialist, Halcrow Consulting Engineers - providing general contract and dispute resolution advice.
- Assistant Contracts Engineer, London Underground (Jubilee Line Extension) - dealing with contract matters on site at Waterloo Station.
- Civil Engineer, Mouchel Consulting Engineers - working both in the design office and on site.
- Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Fellow Dispute Board Federation
- Chartered Civil Engineer
- Member Institution of Civil Engineers
- Called to Bar
- Diploma in Laws
- Diploma in Adjudication
- Honours Degree in Civil Engineering
- The Institution of Civil Engineers Law and Contract Management Examination Committee
- The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators/Adjudication Society Guidance Note Working Group
- Honorary Secretary to the Adjudication Society
- Trustee to the National Animal Welfare Trust