CEDR Panel member since 2000
As an extremely experienced City Disputes lawyer Tim has a great depth and breadth of experience of all aspects of disputes and their speedy resolution. He is especially skilled at quickly getting to grips with complex issues and weighing the relative weight of evidence and legal arguments.
Tim’s expertise in arbitration is based on 40 years working in City disputes practices with a wide range of international clients who chose to resolve their disputes by arbitration rather than litigation. Tim has handled a wide variety of disputes but his experience is principally related to corporate transactions, finance and commercial contracts. He has handled disputes under ICC, LCIA, LMAA, GAFTA, UNCITRAL and ICSID Rules.
Since 2012 Tim has been accepting appointments as an arbitrator after obtaining a Post Graduate Diploma in International Arbitration and becoming a Fellow of the CIArb in 2011.
Tim sees his role as an arbitrator to help the parties resolve their dispute fairly, without unnecessary delays and at a proportionate cost. He is acutely aware of the legal costs of the process and the need to use his authority to keep them under control. As the length of time that a case takes to run will directly impact on the cost he encourages the parties to work to a timetable set as early as possible. He also maintains the pace by keeping a watchful eye on the timetable and proactively chasing parties who are falling behind.
Tim’s approach to managing the different aspects of an arbitration is reflected in the CIArb’s Guidelines which he took a leading role in drafting while chair of the Institute’s Practice & Standards Committee between 2013 and 2016. The Guidelines address all aspects of managing an arbitration including Jurisdictional Challenges, Interim Measures, Security for Costs, Party Non-Participation, Documents Only Procedures and Drafting Awards.
- Member of LCIA tribunal seated in Jersey concerning a dispute between a third party funder and the funded party arising out of the withdrawal of the funding for an international arbitration pursuant to an investment agreement subject to the law of Jersey
- Party appointed member of an ad hoc tribunal seated in an East African State concerning a dispute related to mining and prospecting rights pursuant to a licence governed by the law of that state
- Party appointed arbitrator in an ICC arbitration seted in London relating to a claim against a West African State for damages concerning management of an engineering contract governed by English law
- Sole arbitrator in an arbitration seated in London relating to dispute as to performance of a marketing contract
- Sole arbitrator in an arbitration seated in London relating to damages for breach of a contract for services
Arbitration Experience as party representative
- ICSID arbitration seated in Paris acting for a private equity fund in a claim against the State of Montenegro
- UNCITRAL Investor State Arbitraiton seated in London challenging an Award on jurisdiction under s67 of the Arbitraiton Act 1996
- UNCITRAL arbitration acting for a group of investors in connection with a claim against a Middle Eastern state for the wrongful release of milestone payments from a security escrow account governed by local law
- LCIA arbitration in London concerning wrongful termination of the management contract of a trophy hotel including obtaining an emergency injunction from the Commercial Court under s44 of the Arbitration Act 1996
- GAFTA arbitration seated in London concerning pricing of a commodity in a contract concluded over the phone between a Spanish purchaser and French selller governed by French law
- ICC arbitration seated in London acting for an Eastern European manufacturer in an ICC arbitration concerning a damages claim arsing out of its acquistion of liabilities in an Asset Sale Agreement governed by English law
"An exceptional lawyer who always provides pertinent and thoughtful insight." - Chambers
"Has presence and commands respect." - Client Feedback