To contact or appoint William Aylmer, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
"He is a mediator of choice in respect of his knowledge, patience, commitment and integrity"- Client Feedback
William Aylmer has been a practising mediator for ten years. He was one of the founding members of the CEDR Ireland Mediator Practice Group and he is a Certified Member of the Mediators’ institute of Ireland. William mediates disputes in Ireland and the United Kingdom related to a wide array of commercial sectors including financial services – banking and insurance, commercial sponsorship, shareholding, employment and workplace, partnership, rent review, public sector, probate and administration of estates.
As Principal at Aylmer &. Co. Solicitors, William specialises in civil and commercial dispute resolution. Prior to setting up his own firm William was an Associate in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice at Eugene F. Collins (2000-09), where he led that firm’s promotion of mediation for commercial dispute resolution and represented clients in mediation of claims litigated in the Commercial Court. He has also been an Associate at Malcomson Law where he acted for clients claiming statutory compensation for infection with Hep C and HIV virus through contaminated blood products.
(Non-Neutral work in italics)
- Lead mediator in a €450,000 dispute arising out of an international sport commercial sponsorship agreement.
- Representing multi-national environmental sector services company defending €4M product liability suit.
Employment & Workplace
- Mediator in a €750,000 employment & benefits, private and public sectors multi-party dispute arising from administration of national heritage estate.
- Sole mediator in a workplace dispute between senior management at the Irish business of an international financial services company.
- Sole mediator in €600,000 international multi-party share sale / earn out / employment contract disputes. Business vendor partners in dispute with each other and with purchaser.
- Mediator in an insurance contract dispute between a bank and its insurer.
- Lead mediator in co-mediation of €550,000 commercial insurance sector service level agreement dispute mediation.
Partnership & Shareholder
- Sole mediator between siblings in cross-border dispute over distribution of proceeds of sale of partnership assets.
- Appointed by partners of solicitors’ firm to act as sole mediator in their partnership dispute.
- Representing minority shareholder in claim to enforce option to sell shares for agreed sum.
- Representing partner in firm of accountants where partnership terminated following disagreements.
Professional Negligence: Lead mediator in a €600,000 professional service level agreement dispute between an international financial services company and its professional service contractor.
- Mediator in a multi-party dispute arising under the Multi-Unit Developments Act, 2011.
- Lead mediator in a family business dispute regarding renewal of commercial leases and arrears of rent.
- Sole mediator in commercial rent review dispute, referred to mediation following arbitral award.
- Legal adviser to developer in infrastructure project multi-party dispute mediation .
William has a primarily facilitative style with evaluative elements, deploying exploration of the best and worst alternatives to a negotiated agreement and reality checking as early as possible and repeated as appropriate.
Feedback - Clients
- “William was extremely professional with a relaxed yet formal approach to the mediation. William was very measured throughout the day and explained things very thoroughly during pre-mediation. The advice William gave my client to 'not be the first to leave' was invaluable and stayed with my client all day, especially when things got tough. My client was very impressed with William who he said had adopted a very positive approach throughout a very difficult mediation. It was also beneficial to have an assistant mediator during the day.” Party’s legal representative.
- “Thanks a lot for everything today William. You ran it all in an excellent way. All the best.” Party’s legal representative.
- “Mediation is a results business and you got a result which all parties were happy to agree. Our agenda was to represent the interests of the wider community and after in excess of ten years of conflict I am pleased that we achieved closure. Everyone walked away with something which was key to the settlement. I must congratulate you on keeping everyone at the table which was an achievement in itself. However, as mediator you get the credit for achieving the result.”
- “The dust has settled and it is difficult to see how the mediation might have unfolded differently. Overall it seems that all the preparation in the world cannot prepare you for what can actually transpire. We are very grateful for the manner in which you carried out the role of mediator and for your calmness, politeness and good humour throughout. We are very glad that our solicitor recommended you and would have no hesitation in recommending you to anyone in need of a safe pair of hands.”
- “Just wanted to say thank you for your patience, persistence and expertise in the mediation.” Party’s legal representative.
- Jon Legorburu appointed William from the CEDR panel in 2011, noting his “good value, high integrity and creativity as a mediator”, following successful mediation.
- John O’Connor, Solicitor, Mediator, Notary Public, Dublin has appointed William as a mediator in February 2009 and hired him more than once, noting that he achieves great results, is personable and expert and saying “William and I have worked on a number of mediations. He is a mediator of choice in respect of his knowledge, patience, commitment and integrity.”
- Kevin Bonfield, Bonfield Limited, London, while with another company when working with William at Eugene F. Collins, said in April 2009, “I found William's approach to dispute resolution refreshing and his attention to detail was excellent. I am glad that he has set up Compton Aylmer as this new venture will give him the freedom to develop a strong business which will serve his current and future clients very well indeed. I have no hesitation in recommending William's services.”
- Eileen Grace, Partner Corporate & Banking Group at Eugene F. Collins, Dublin, who managed William indirectly at Eugene F. Collins, said in February 2010, “William is a very experienced lawyer with particular expertise in mediation. William was a very capable colleague and a pleasure to deal with.”
Feedback – Directories & Awards
Finalist in the Danske Bank Irish Law Awards 2013, ADR Lawyer of the Year category.
Finalist in the CEDR Awards 2012 in the ADR Champion category, for his commitment to the promotion and development of mediation in Ireland.
William appears in the International Who’s Who of Mediation Lawyers 2011, having been nominated and selected based on comprehensive, independent survey work with both general counsel and private practice lawyers.
Cited in Chambers Global 2009, the Client’s Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, as "one of the most sensible and pleasant commercial litigators around". It records that William covers an array of contentious cases and is "making great strides" as a mediator.
William has represented clients as a solicitor and trusted adviser in civil and commercial litigation, arbitration and mediation since 1994. Highlights of his legal practice to date include representing a multinational pharma company assisting a Commission of Inquiry into post mortem practices in Ireland, acting for a global company in the energy and transport sectors in a Parliamentary Inquiry into a major Irish transport infrastructure project, acting for a subsidiary of a global energy and exploration company in injunction proceedings arising out of its exploration and development activities in Ireland and acting for a subsidiary of a global group in the construction sector in a series of Arbitration and Commercial Court proceedings arising out of a mixed use development in Ireland.
William is an elected member of the Council of the Law Society of Ireland and a former member of its statutory Complaints and Client Relations Committee. He is also a Member of the Law Society’s Arbitration and Mediation Committee.
- Member Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- Panel mediator, Law Society of Ireland.
- Panel mediator, Mediators’ Institute of Ireland Civil Liability & Courts Act, 2004 personal injury claims panel.
- Founding member of ICMA, the Irish Commercial Mediation Association and member of its Directory of Commercial Mediators.
Updated: November 2017