Shipping Early Intervention
CEDR has devised an early intervention service specially designed to meet the needs of the shipping industry. It is designed to be used on difficult, high value or simply intractable cases where both parties would prefer to avoid protracted litigation or have simply run out of options.
Known as Early Intervention the process provides for a CEDR Panel Mediator to intervene in an existing dispute on a WITHOUT PREJUDICE and CONFIDENTIAL basis. The process is more dynamic and fluid than more standard commercial mediation and is aimed at achieving an informed solution sooner.
What will CEDR do?
CEDR will appoint one of its panel mediators experienced in the concept of Early Intervention and make contact with the other party(s).
One of the unique features of Early Intervention is that one party can start the process and it is then for CEDR – the neutral appointing the neutral – to use its skills and experience, and that of its mediators, to draw the other party(s) into the process.
What will the mediator do?
A mediator experienced in shipping disputes will work with each party (and its lawyers if desired) to explore all options including identifying:
- The key issues and concerns
- What each party needs to do to inform the other of its position
- A mutually agreed ‘road map’ to take the dispute forward
- Options for resolving, or agreeing how to contest, the issues.
How will they do it?
The mediator will use the full mediation tool kit to help the parties reach a resolution, there are no mandated procedures and the mediator will adopt the strategy they consider most likely to get results.
Methods will include:
- Exploration of all options by telephone, shuttle meeting or email
- A planned road map to resolution
- Chaired settlement meetings
- Alternative solution planning if no settlement is reached
What is the cost?
- The mediator will conduct one exploratory conversation with each party for no charge up to a maximum of one hour per party.
- An hourly rate of £400 per hour applies to all work thereafter with the cost shared equally between the parties.
- CEDR’s support and guidance is provided at no extra charge.