CEDR-Accredited Mediator Skills Training | Virtual | 16 – 23 August 2023
16 August 2023
This is a 6-day online course running from 16 – 23 August 2023 with a weekend break of 19 & 20 August.
The course is from 9:00 am – 5.30 pm UK Time and will be held virtually via the Zoom platform. This course will be delivered in English.
Days 1 – 3: Mediation in Practice – Foundation Skills Training
The first three days of the course focuses on what CEDR does best: highly skilled trainers, who are also experienced mediators, assist course participants to learn and apply the process and skills of mediation. All three days involve practical exercises and role-plays, where all participants will get the opportunity to be the mediator and receive coaching and feedback from experienced mediators.
- Focuses on the practical application of the process and key skills of a mediator in the opening and exploration phases of mediation.
- Sessions include phases of mediation, preparation, mediator opening, what and how to explore, active listening skills, and building trust and rapport.
- Participants continue their practice of the process and key skills of an effective mediator focusing on the early bargaining phases of mediation.
- Sessions include non-verbal communication, working with emotions, managing offers, negotiation skills for mediators, and handling status and power imbalance in mediation.
- The final stage of bargaining and the concluding phase will be examined in detail and all participants will get another opportunity to mediate in the afternoon with more coaching and feedback from experienced mediators.
- Sessions include dealing with deadlock, challenging parties, reality testing, and mediator ethics.
Days 4 – 6: Internationally Quality Assured Mediator – CEDR Accreditation
The second half of the course will enable those who want to differentiate themselves in the marketplace and establish that they are of a quality consistent with other mediators internationally.
Day 4: Practice Day
- This day is focussed on one case throughout the day with everyone mediating once and also playing a party and their lawyer.
- A coach is present in each role-play throughout the day to give each participant extensive coaching during the role play, followed by 1-to-1 personal feedback in order to focus on strengths and areas for development to prepare them for the assessment days.
Days 5 & 6: Assessment for CEDR Accreditation
- Assessed by CEDR’s training faculty, successful participants are awarded the internationally recognised badge of quality – CEDR Accredited mediator.
- On day five each participant is assessed on the earlier phases of mediation.
- On day six each participant is assessed on the middle and later parts of the mediation.