Fixed Fee Mediation
Fixed price mediation provides the services of a CEDR Panel Mediator for a fixed price that covers pre-mediation preparation and mediation time on the day itself up to a maximum of seven hours.
About the service
Parties can either use our CEDR Key System to search for and select a mediator based on availability or can ask CEDR to recommend a mediator.
- Two-party disputes
- The subject of the mediation must be monetary claims, with typical disputes shown on the right-hand column.
- Both parties must have agreed a date for the mediation
- Both parties must have agreed to use the Fixed Fee service
- Both parties must pay the relevant fee before the mediation date is confirmed and the mediator's diary is held.
If your case is not eligible, please contact us and we will provide a fee quote. Cases not eligible for the Fixed Fee service include:
- Disputes between more than two parties.
- Part VII Claims, claims related to employment disputes, property disputes involving rights of way or boundary issues, clinical negligence, personal injury or defamation.
- Disputes that have non-monetary claims as a part of the dispute.
- Disputes with a combined claim and counterclaim value in excess of £500,000.
- Disputes outside the jurisdiction of the Courts of England & Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland.
Costs are determined based on the total value of the claim and counterclaim. Where there are active proceedings before the Court this calculation is based on the amounts set out in the parties' pleadings.
|COST PER PARTY|
|Claim value up to||£75,000||£125,000||£250,000||£500,000|
|Fixed Fee – including up to 4-hours preparation and up to 7-hours mediation||£500||£1,000||£1,250||£1,600|
|Extra hourly charge applicable after 7 hours of mediation time only||£100||£125||£150||£200|
|(All fees exclusive of VAT)|
Example dispute types
- Intellectual Property
- Landlord & Tenant
- Professional Negligence
- Sale of Goods & Services
The steps to use the service are as follows:
- Both Parties agree a date to mediate and to use the Fixed Fee service.
- One or both parties to contact CEDR.
- CEDR confirms mediator availability and provides recommendations if requested.
- Both Parties confirm to CEDR the choice of mediator and mediation date.
- CEDR confirm the mediation subject to receiving payment of fees within 2 business days.
- Both parties pay the fee.
- Booking is confirmed and the mediator’s diary is held.
Please note that mediator’s diary will not be held until payment is received from both parties.
Fixed price mediation provides the services of a CEDR Panel Mediator for a fixed price that covers all pre-mediation preparation and mediation time on the day itself up to a maximum of 7 hours.
What is covered?
- All reasonable preparation and up to 7 hours of mediation time.
- Full administrative support provided by CEDR.
- For mediations taking place online the use of a video conferencing platform.
- For mediations taking place in London, mediator’s travel expenses to attend the mediation are included within the fixed price.
What's not covered?
- Organising an in-person venue. Costs of an in-person venue (minimum of three rooms is strongly recommended).
- Refreshments and other disbursements.
- Mediator travel costs for cases taking place outside London. Costs up to £100 do not require prior agreement. Costs In excess of £100 will be agreed with the parties in advance.
- Mediator time in excess of 7 hours on the day of the mediation. Mediators tend to arrive to prepare and set up the mediation no less than 30 minutes before the mediation begins.
- Excessive preparation time, generally more than 2 hours per party. If the parties require the mediator to consider voluminous material or engage in substantial pre-mediation contact, CEDR will contact the parties and seek to agree on a fair top-up fee in these circumstances. If the parties decline to agree a fee the mediator may decide to decline the appointment.
CEDR can arrange the mediation within as little as 48 hours if required, but we recommend parties give themselves at least two weeks’ notice to prepare.
CEDR Accredited mediators have been hand-picked to be on the CEDR Panel based on their performance and our clients' expertise requirements. Approximately 50% of the 150 mediators on the CEDR Panel accept appointments under this service.
All CEDR Mediators are appointed to our Panels in accordance with our Mediator Quality Commitments