No, you must give the company the opportunity to address your concerns first. In many cases they will be able to resolve your complaint in the first instance.

No, the scheme is free of charge for customers. However, any money you spend in putting together your claim you cannot recover through the scheme.

Generally a qualified surveyor or legally qualified adjudicator appointed by CEDR will decide each dispute by reference to the documentary evidence supplied by the parties, the scheme rules and the relevant law. The adjudicators are experienced in dealing with these types of disputes.

The adjudicator will produce a written decision, which will be sent to you and the RICS firm member. The adjudicator’s decision is confidential, and the RICS firm member must follow it if you choose to accept it. If you decide that you do not agree with the adjudicator’s decision, you are free to reject it and pursue your claim elsewhere if you wish. In this case, the adjudicator’s decision will not be binding on the RICS firm member.

The maximum sum which an adjudicator may award you is £25,000.00.

Cases must be completed within 90 days of the application being accepted as required by UK legislation. However, the average time taken to complete the process is generally considerably quicker.

You can find more information about the scheme here or alternatively you can call or email the Consumer Services Team using the details below:
Tel: +44 (0)20 7536 6116


Before you submit an application for CEDR adjudication you should check if your claim is eligible for review.

You must ensure the following conditions are met:

  • That you are an individual or a small business or organisation (with 10 or fewer employees).
  • That you have given the RICS firm member a reasonable chance to settle your complaint.
  • That if you are seeking financial compensation, the total amount of your claim does not exceed £25,000.

If you want to complain about CEDR please read our Complaints Procedure document. Once you have read the Complaints Procedure and you want to submit your complaint, please use our Complaints Form, which you can download below. 

Complaints Procedure

Complaint Form

Independent Reviewers Terms of Reference