Frequently asked questions

Useful documentation

Video guides

How we help you make a complaint

How we help you make a complaint

How do we do it?

For those cases that the Independent Complaints Reviewer decides are appropriate for review, they will conduct a review of the papers to consider whether:

  • the investigation conducted by the RSH was thorough and fair
  • all the relevant facts were taken into account by the RSH
  • the conclusions reached (in respect of complaints about the service provided by the RSH) were reasonable and properly explained; and
  • the investigation of the complaints about the RSH’s handling of the case was efficient and without any unnecessary delay.

In terms of the process, if a complaint is referred to CEDR for independent complaints review, we will first confirm with the RSH that you have gone through their 2 internal stages. This is usually done within 5 working days. If eligible, we will then send you an Application Form for you to complete and return to CEDR. This form is also accessible via our website. Please provide as much information as possible with your Application Form as it is your responsibility to outline and evidence your complaint about the RSH. CEDR does not request information on your behalf. CEDR then sends the application form to the RSH, who have 20 working days to provide their response. This is then  sent to the Independent Complaints Reviewer to provide a written response (usually within 25 working days of receipt of the complete case file).

What are the outcomes?

The Independent Complaint Reviewer can make any recommendations as to service improvements for the RSH.


On receipt of the report, the RSH will consider the recommendations made and decide what action, if any, to take. In some instances the RSH can decline to implement the recommendations outlined in the report.

Things we cannot assist with

  • Complaints that are referred to CEDR later than 3 months after the RSH’s final response to the complaint;
  • Complaints about the services provided by social landlords;
  • Complaints which have not exhausted the RSH’s complaints procedure (except where it is agreed to fast track the complaint to stage 3);
  • Complaints seeking to challenge the RSH’s regulatory judgments (as opposed to the decision making process resulting in regulatory action);
  • Complaints which, in the opinion of CEDR, are more appropriately dealt with by a court, regulatory body, or other formal process;
  • Complaints that are the subject of an existing or previous valid application made under the Scheme;
  • A dispute which has been or is the subject of court proceedings or an alternative independent procedure for the determination of disputes (unless such proceedings or alternative procedure have been abandoned, stayed or suspended); and
  • Complaints that CEDR considers to be frivolous and/or vexatious.

Complaints about CEDR

Complaints about CEDR

What if I have a complaint about CEDR?

If you want to complain about CEDR please read our Complaints Procedure document. Once you have read the Complaints Procedure and you want to submit your complaint, please use our Complaint Form below. 

Complaints Procedure

Complaint Form

Independent Reviewer's Terms of Reference

The steps you must take before submitting a complaint


Contact RSH

Is managed by the team at RSH to which the complaint relates. You should complain no later than 3 months after you became aware of the problem, or should reasonably have become aware of it.

Contact RSH legal services team

If you’re unhappy with the way RSH handled your complaint at stage 1 you can escalate it to their legal services team as an independent review of the original complaint. This should be within 3 months of receiving a response to stage 1.

Contact CEDR

If you’re still unhappy with RSH’s response you can refer it to us and we will carry out an independent review. Complaints that are referred to CEDR later than 3 months after the RSH's final response to the complaint cannot be dealt with. If you are still not satisfied, you can ask your MP to take your complaint to the independent Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to review the handling of your complaint.
Woman smiling

Are you a business?

CEDR can provide dispute resolution services for business in most sectors.

  • Fast, and cost effective solutions
  • Provided at a sustainable cost
Skip to main content