Water Redress Scheme

The Water Redress Scheme (WATRS) is an independent service that adjudicates disputes between the customer and water and
sewerage companies or suppliers which have reached a state of deadlock.


Free (no cost to the customer)


Up to 35 working days

CEDR Key and water

Which company would you like to make a complaint about?

Search for a company you wish to complain about.

Tap water

What we can do

WATRS was created to help the mediation and investigation roles of the Consumer Council for Water (CCW). If CCW can not settle a customer’s dispute, WATRS will provide a final judgement that is binding upon water and sewage companies. This needs to be done within six months from the date of the CCW closure letter.

  • If you would like to know more about how we can help you with your WATRS complaint, please go to our Help & Guides.


Important Message: The role of reviewing escalated complaints is changing. WATRS will be handing over responsibility to our colleagues at CCW (Consumer Council for Water) on 1 December 2023.

What does this mean for you? The last day to register a new complaint with WATRS will be by 5pm on Thursday 30 November 2023. After this date, CCW will be taking over. Applications received after this date will not be accepted by WATRS.

 What happens to cases already in progress with WATRS? All active cases will be completed by WATRS to a conclusion. For further information about the new service, please contact CCW directly at https://www.ccw.org.uk/.

The steps you must take before submitting a complaint

speech bubble icon

Contact the company

The customer makes a complaint to the company directly and if the company isn’t able to resolve the dispute the matter is referred to CCW for mediation and/or investigation. All cases relating to household consumers must go first to CCW before moving to the next stage of the process. However, for non-household consumers, the case can be referred directly to WATRS.
clipboard icon

Get in touch with WATRS

If CCW are unable to resolve the dispute and your claim is eligible, you can come to WATRS. When it comes to the evidence, we will ask you to provide things like: the date/s you first noticed the issue and complained to the company, any copies of correspondence or details of phone calls and any other evidence that demonstrates the issue. CCW will have this information and will send it on your behalf as part of the process for WATRS to deal with the matter.
tick and cross icon

Accept or reject the final decision

Once the complete case file is received, an independent adjudicator (who is not employed by or associated with the company or CCW) makes a final decision based on the available information. The customer can then decide whether to accept or reject the adjudicator’s final decision. If the customer accepts, the company has to do what the adjudicator has said.
Woman smiling

Are you a business?

CEDR can provide dispute resolution services for businesses in most sectors.

  • Fast, and cost effective solutions
  • Provided at a sustainable cost

Water Redress Scheme

Featured case studies

Complaint overview

The company had failed to install a water meter after agreeing to do so, failed to respond to communications and was untruthful.

Remedy Awarded

A written apology

View all case studies >

Complaint overview

The company was charging the customer incorrectly, gave them incorrect advice causing them to incur plumber costs and works the company had carried out had damaged the property.

Remedy Awarded

£300 compensation and a written apology

Complaint overview

The customer submitted that their business and domestic premises were subject to an internal sewage leak, due to a sewerage flooding from a public sewer.

Remedy Awarded

£1540.00 compensation and a written apology

ShawTrust Accessible award logo

Fully accredited

Skip to main content