Members' funding not only underwrites CEDR's independence in dispute intervention but also ensures continuous innovation of new processes, the provision of the highest quality professional standards and support for our continuing mission to cut the cost of conflict.
A more in-depth track record for each of our services is available in the relevant section.
A few of CEDR's clients in 2008 [from the Annual Review 2008]
Allen & Overy, Allianz, Ashurst, Association for Consultancy and Engineering, Barclays, Beazley, British Waterways, Clifford Chance, Court of Appeal, Deloitte, Department for Transport [UK], Eversheds, Herbert Smith, Home Office [UK], Hong Kong Bar Association, Howden, International Finance Corporation, International Underwriting Association, John Laing, Lewis Silkin, Lloyd's Markets Association, Lovells, Mayer Brown, Medical Protection Society, Nabarro, Norton Rose, PricewaterhouseCoopers, QBE, Skanska, Teceris, Thames Water, UK Intellectual Property Office, University of Southampton, World Bank.
Informing the market
- CEDR's market leading websites are accessed by over 6,000 users on average each month.
- We have launched EDR Law - CEDR's unique source of information for tracking judgments, Civil Procedure Rules, Court Guides and Pre-action Protocols linked to mediation.
- CEDR has produced user handbooks for both the Corporate and Public sectors: the 'Corporate Counsel's ADR Guide' and 'An ADR Guide for Public Authority Managers', and continues to work with two advisory forums for those sectors.
- CEDR was emphasised in the International Financial Services London publicity as a key component of the UK's international dispute resolution facilities.
- We host biannual European Mediation Congress attended by over 300 delegates.
- We run a biannual Mediation Audit informing the market on the use of mediation and current trends.
- We have conducted landmark research into the Cost of Conflict with Lewis Silken and Barclays Bank plc.
- In 2006 we ran over 100 courses, events and seminars.
- We launched a CEDR Commission to investigate settlement rates in international arbitration.
Landmark ADR projects
- Mediation was mentioned by name for the first time in the revised Practice Direction to the Pre-action Protocols.
- The Alder Hey retained organs litigation, involving around 1,000 families, reached a conclusion through mediation.
- CEDR completed the first Early Neutral Evaluation under the Union Railway scheme for the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- CEDR was invited to act as 'on call' mediators to one of the largest regeneration projects currently in prospect in the UK.
- CEDR has created a ‘Project Mediation’ initiative to help major industry projects, such as the London Olympics, prevent disputes and meet critical deadlines, by building into projects a skilled, independent overseer for communications between entire project teams.
- CEDR and The National Association of Pension Funds (NAPF) worked in partnership to provide a valuable new mediation service for its members
- CEDR launched The Performing Arts Mediation Service, a new initiative set up with the Independent Theatre Council (ITC) to meet the specific needs of performing arts professionals
- CEDR is sponsoring an important 12-month PhD research student and mediator from the London School of Economics, using CEDR as a case study for looking at the whole field, in one of the first ever PhD projects into UK commercial mediation.
- CEDR is one of the national providers for the National Mediation Helpline, run on behalf of the Ministry of Justice.
- We are working with the Wind Energy Division of Germanischer Lloyd industrial Services Gmbh to provide a project risk management service for wind energy projects.
Encouraging systematic use of ADR
- The BBC's new Code of Practice for its dealings with independent producers includes provision for mediation through CEDR Solve .
- The Baltic & International Maritime Council (BIMCO), the leading international shipping member organisation using standard ADR documentation in that sector, have included mediation clauses, incorporated CEDR workshops into international conferences in London and Barcelona and now include a mediation module in their international summer school training.
- CEDR has worked with the Association of Strategic Alliance Professionals (ASAP) to encourage the use of mediation techniques in creating alliances as well as in resolving disputes in alliances.
- FIDIC, the International Federation of Consulting Engineers, named CEDR as the default nominating body in the 4th edition of its Client/Consultancy Model Services Agreement.
- We are members of Medal - the International Mediation Services Alliance - with leading international mediation providers in Europe and the USA.
- We launched Model Employment Contract Clauses.
Breaking new ground
- CEDR contributed to the work of the Better Regulation Taskforce, to look at the potential impact of mediation on the compensation culture.
- CEDR participated in the DTI's consultation on the provision of ADR for disputes arising under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
- The House of Commons Public Administration Select Committee invited CEDR to contribute to their 'inquiry into inquiries'.
- CEDR launched a specialist Mediation Skills Training course for the employment sector.
- We launched the first ADR International Study Programme.
- We published our mediation contract clauses free online in French, German, Italian, Mandarin, Russian and Spanish.
- CEDR supported the formation of the APPG on Conflict Issues with our Chief Executive Karl Mackie and the Chair of CEDR's Advisory Council, Lord Hurd of Westwell speaking at the group's second meeting on commercial mediation.
- First Saturday Service for mediation.
Improving the Civil Justice System
- In addition to the Court of Appeal Scheme and regular High Court and Commercial Court referrals, CEDR is actively involved in court-referred mediation schemes in Birmingham, Cardiff, Central London, Exeter and Guildford.
- Building upon the success of the Judges' Forum in recent years, as well as our involvement in the three-year judicial education programme for the Judicial Studies Board, CEDR provided mediators skills training to judges.
- CEDR is an elected member of the Civil Mediation Council.
- CEDR produced a new educational video on mediation and published the second edition of its 'Court referred ADR: a guide for the judiciary'.
- CEDR submitted a report to Mr Justice Colman's Commercial Court working group on court-ordered mediation and later a report to the Court of Appeal prior to the Halsey judgment.
Leading global development
- Following their Green Paper in 2002, the European Commission has launched an EU Code of Conduct for Mediation and a Draft Directive developed by a drafting committee on which CEDR was represented.
- The first pan-European ADR research project, conducted by CEDR in conjunction with leading law firm CMS, culminated in the launch of a joint publication 'The EU Mediation Atlas: Practice and Regulation'.
- CEDR successfully introduced mediation into the Slovak civil justice system.
- CEDR designed and established an extra judicial system for resolving welfare disputes in Samara, Russia.
- CEDR presented a report to the Government of Russia outlining the development of mediation in the UK and the EU.
- We undertook the first internationally accredited mediator skills training in Nigeria and continues to run courses there.
- We launched the UK-China Mediation centre located in Beijing and London.
- We worked with the World Bank to professionalise mediation in Pakistan.
- We worked in Kazakhstan in the development of consumer-orientated mediation centres.
- CEDR has delivered ADR workshops in over 25 different countries.
- We trained local commercial mediators in Advanced Mediation Practice in Bosnia and we deliver mediator skills training courses in Europe, including Ireland and Spain.
- CEDR worked with the European Patent Office to run a Study Tour for Russian and Ukrainian federal judges
Quality and innovation
- We maintain mediator standards of excellence through a programme of Advanced Mediation Training courses.
- We ensure new mediator talent is nurtured through assistantships.
- We hold biannual CEDR Awards for Excellence in ADR to award the forerunners of ADR development.
- In response to market conditions and client demand, launched CEDR Solve Direct with a direct panel of over 30 mediators that clients can book directly.