To contact or appoint John Fordham, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email email@example.com
John's experience both as a litigation solicitor and as a mediator has covered a wide range of commercial disputes.
Banking & Finance
- Claims and cross-claims under an agreement between building society and insurance company arising out of the endowment-linked mortgage scandal.
- Various matters arising under a company sale and purchase agreement: misrepresentation; breach of warranty; deferred consideration.
- Dispute in relation to the management of a major UK port.
- Acting in numerous different claims by customers against their banks.
- Acting for a Middle Eastern investor in respect of a claim against a US investment bank – proceedings instituted – settlement reached after day 1 of trial.
- Acting for a German based HNW individual in a claim against a different US investment bank – claim not yet resolved.
- Acting for one of the parties involved in the publicised allegation of mis-selling by Barclays in relation to its capital raising in 2008.
Employment & Workplace: Dispute between hotel owner and manager under hotel management agreement, each alleging breaches by the other and arguing about repudiation and termination rights.
ICT - Information, Communication & Technology
- Claims and cross-claims under contract for sale of telephone land lines and SIM cards for mobiles.
- Infringement of copyright: manual for mobile phones.
- Claim for payment due under financing agreement in relation to the supply of IT software; cross-claim for failure by supplier to introduce customers.
- Dispute between a software company and client for over £20m related to a software licence with claims of non-performance, breach of confidence and intellectual property rights.
- Claims for negligence and breach of fiduciary duty by liquidators against former directors.
- Claims and cross-claims in respect of income and tax as between partners in a dissolved law firm.
- Misfeasance claim as between liquidator and administrator of a company.
- Claim for breach of contract/bailment in respect of goods in storage affected by water damage; claim under insurance policy.
- Dispute as to scope of "binder" as between underwriter and underwriting agent.
- Allocation of proceeds of fidelity insurance claim between co-insureds.
Partnership & Shareholder
- Claim for further monies from a joint venture vehicle, based on allegations of biased accounting; dispute over value of shares in joint venture vehicle.
- Two Court actions, one requiring transfer of shares, the other for damages for breach of fiduciary duty as directors; cross-claims for breaches by other directors; issues: share valuations; assessment of damages; non-compete covenants; remuneration of directors.
- Issues arising under Partnership Act and partnership agreement following the death of partner in surveyors business.
- Dispute between minority shareholder/director and other shareholders/company including minority oppression claim, unfair dismissal claim and breach of fiduciary duty claim.
- Dispute between shareholders and directors of a joint venture company (NHS related)
- Joint venture dispute in media and entertainment industry.
- Dispute between joint ventures in a property purchase.
- Dispute between advisers (local accountants, City accountants and City solicitors) as to who was responsible for the loss of potential CGT relief.
- Dispute as to responsibility for costs of High Court and Lands Tribunal proceedings; claim by solicitors for fees and cross-claim for negligence.
- Claim for negligence on part of conveyancing solicitor; limitation of action issue.
- Claim for negligence by investor against financial advisor over suitability and diversity, insurance issues.
- Professional negligence claim against "due diligence" accountant.
Sale of Goods & Services
- Claim by assignee of rights under a milk supply contract.
- Dispute over termination of contract for distribution of a well-known brand of beer in Northern Ireland.
- Dispute over sale of a petrochemical product between Japanese and English parties.
- Dispute over the termination by an oil major of a petrol station franchise in Scotland.
- Dispute arising from termination of car dealership
Trusts, Wills & Probate
- Disputed wills (Hong Kong).
- Disputes between beneficiary, former trustees and present trustees under a substantial family settlement (Paris).
- Claim by daughter of deceased under Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
Warranties: Breach of warranty claims arising from sale of company
- One of the group claims arising out of the Buncefield oil terminal explosion.
- Claim arising from the television call-in programmes scandal.
- Dispute in relation to Home Information Packs (HIPs).
John's most recent experience as an arbitrator (sole arbitrator) is in a solicitor partnership dispute, where he had to make several procedural rulings prior to settlement.
He has been involved in numerous mediations and arbitrations as a party representative. He has been responsible for devising tailor-made ADR techniques, including where the mediator is mandated to make binding or non-binding determination if no consensual settlement is reached.
Updated: December 2015