To contact or appoint Kevin Smyth, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email email@example.com
Kevin’s approaches every mediation believing that a settlement is achievable. From the outset he uses a combination of awareness, empathy, sensitivity and pragmatism to help the parties reach an agreement. He feels it is important for the mediator to instil energy into the mediation process and, if needs be, to manage it with firmness.
An ability to reality test in a focused and constructive way is also an important element of Kevin’s style and general approach to the mediation process. So as to achieve this, he ensures that he has a full understanding of both the facts and issues before each mediation takes place. Moreover, he always strives to make sure that the parties and their advisor representatives come to the mediation well prepared and to that end, invariably Kevin drafts for agreement by the parties a pre-mediation timetable for all necessary tasks to be undertaken in good time before the mediation day.
- “Thank you for your perseverance, patience and for keeping everyone focused on the desirability of achieving a settlement. We all started poles apart, and this case [a pending appeal to the Court of Appeal] had the added difficulties of a judgement following the trial which left much to be desired and no final order, which therefore left us all guessing about what the ultimate outcome would have been. That a resolution was reached at all is not only a testament to the mediation process itself, but to your own skill”.
- “I was really impressed with him. He was nice and helpful and as an impartial observer, the reality touch he gave was very useful. His style was fair, realistic and sensible. He was chosen based on his experience and as a solicitor.”
- “Kevin was excellent, as usual. He is sympathetic to the client and understands that settling the dispute will result in a release of stress and pressure. He facilitated a settlement and closure for everyone. We thought he was very good.”
- “Kevin was ‘brilliant’. He made me feel so comfortable and I hadn’t expected to. I felt very comfortable going into the mediation. He had spent a lot of time the week before working with me and talking about the issues … he brought gravitas and stopped the whole process from breaking down.”
- “Very much at ease and very informative.”
- “Very personable and engaged, well prepared and helpful.”
- “He did really well in a really difficult case”.
- “Kevin was very good. He was very clear and thorough throughout the day, facilitative and sympathetic.”
- ”He is uniquely qualified to be a mediator. He was dedicated, organized, experienced and proficient.”
- “… he was sensible, thoughtful and finally managed to broker an agreement when initially the parties were poles apart. He did a very professional job under difficult circumstances.”
- “I thought Kevin adopted a very good approach and style. I would be happy to use him again.”
- “The mediator was very personable and took sufficient time to listen to relevant parties’ comments/concerns.”
- “Thank you Kevin for your patience and incredible endurance in leading this matter to a positive outcome for all parties.”
- “Thank you very much indeed for your hard work yesterday in assisting us in achieving settlement. The matter had become far more legally and procedurally complex than it perhaps needed to be and it was very helpful indeed that you had mastered the issues in such a short space of time.”
Updated: August 2018