To contact or appoint Austin Kenny, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
"We were very pleased with the cool professionalism that Austin brought to this emotionally charged and bitter disagreement." - Mediation Feedback
An independent mediator and business consultant with a strong accountancy and business background, Austin Kenny is also chairman and non-executive director of three companies. He has conducted mediations in Ireland the U.K. across a broad range of sectors including property, manufacturing and retail sectors, with case values ranging from 0 to 10 million Euros.
He has been a practitioner member of MII and panel member of International Mediators Institute (IMI) since 2009, a panel member of ICMA since 2005 and completed the conflict management coaching certificate in 2011.
Prior to becoming an independent mediator Austin owned and managed his own accountancy and business consultancy practice for 20 years. He has significant expertise and experience across a rich portfolio of professional services including accounting, audit, forensics, insolvency, tax planning structures, mergers & acquisitions, corporate finance, business contracts, raising finance, strategic planning, succession planning. He has also co-owned businesses in property, manufacturing and retail.
His professional specialisms include forensic accounting, business diagnostics, mentor/adviser to a wide range of owner-managed and family businesses.
(Non-Neutral work in italics)
- Shareholding and reputation disputes.
Banking & Finance
- Pension fund service failure.
- Distribution agreements (both cessation and sale).
Construction & Engineering
- Principal to sub-contractor claims for delays.
Employment & Workplace
- Termination and unfair dismissal.
Energy & Natural Resources
- Long term land rental arrangements and profit share on electricity generation.
ICT – Information, Communication & Technology
- Sale of website IP address.
- The break-up of a business that had developed a Financial Advisory Services Website with Central Bank Regulatory and other issues.
- The second round funding stages of a Mobile Phone platform which was based on location connectivity.
- Dispute on mobile application provided and bank rejecting and misunderstanding in terms of the contract, for the design and delivery of a banking app.
- A highly technical gaming device that started life as a game tool and has advanced into the mental health sector. The shareholders and new investors were at dispute over ownership and operational matters.
- During his career as a Business Consultant, Austin assisted a number of companies that were High Potential Start Ups.
- Multi-party fire claim and loss of earnings; professional indemnity & duty of care.
- Successful outcome on a case involving the IP of a crowd funding website.
Media & Entertainment
- Film company directors’ dispute.
Partnership & Shareholder
- S 205 minority oppression claims.
- Dissolution of construction partnership.
- Dissolution of family fashion business.
- Family business disputes in farming, property and retail sectors.
- Partnership – medical partnership shareholder dispute.
- Succession dispute between shareholders in engineering sector.
- Farming rights of way.
- Landlord and Tenant
- Dilapidations and rights to renew dispute; rental revision.
- Dispute between the Board of Management of a school and a group of unionised teachers (with their Union rep).
- Claim against Local Authority for repairs to sewerage scheme.
Sale of Goods & Services: Professional fees.
- Sale of waste disposal business.
- CPO Compensation claim over land and crops, damaged during installation of electricity interconnector.
Austin works on building trust and confidence with the parties and their lawyers from the very start and is very keen on pre-mediation meetings. He is tough on the problem and will push for solutions and creativity from the parties from early on. He believes parties have the ability to resolve the dispute if he provides a safe environment and works on removing any barriers to settlement. Austin has a strong business acumen which helps the parties to be deal-focussed. Austin has also trained as a Conflict Coach and can work with parties to face difficult situations, often in advance of a mediation.
- “Quick off the mark and flexible.”
- “He is an extremely good character with great charisma and very experienced. He went the extra mile and to great lengths to attempt a settlement.”
- “An excellent mediator who was very professional and who focused on the right issues throughout the mediation.”
- “He has a good style, easy listener and does not overly impose his personality. At the end of the day, the thing this mediation most lacked and missed out on was that the mediator did not impose himself to assist the parties in bringing closure to the mediation. I guess you have to be patient and do accept that the mediator has only a facilitative not a dicatorial role.”
- “Austin combined very good interpersonal skills with common sense, commercial awareness and instilled confidence in himself and in the process of mediation. I would happily retain Austin as a Mediator again.” (Solicitor)
- “Austin Kenny helped us bring an end to a very acrimonious and legally expensive dispute between two sides. We were very pleased with the cool professionalism that Austin brought to this emotionally charged and bitter disagreement.” (Party)
- “Austin was involved in a very difficult mediation involving a number of the directors of a trust fund that had lost a lot of money. It took the directors six months to simply agree a mediator. The issues were many and complex but thanks to Austin the most contentious and complex issues were resolved completely, resulting in no legal action being taken. He was particularly skilful at getting the parties to recognise and park the emotive issues and facilitating the satisfactory resolution of the substantive and complex issues. I have no hesitation in recommending his services and would be delighted to use them personally again.” (Party)
- Forensic Accountant; Business Consultant
- 2008: MATA advanced mediator training
- Conflict Management Coach; Certified Conflict Dynamics Coach
Updated: November 2017