To contact or appoint Christopher Ennis, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email email@example.com
(Non-Neutral work in italics)
- Multi-party matters involving up to four separate parties and around twenty party representatives.
- Disputes involving complex technical and commercial issues.
- Complex disputes involving many different alleged causes of action.
- Matters where knowledge of the parties’ first languages, and ability to read key documents in languages other than English, has been of assistance.
- Time-limited matters, where (typically) a half-day has been set for the mediation itself, following preliminary exchanges.
- Matters requiring particular sensitivity due to issues of aggression, emotional and domestic complications, limited communication ability or otherwise disadvantaged nature of one of the parties.
- Disputes where the outcome at settlement has involved significant elements of non-monetary compensation or consideration.
Construction & Engineering
In his specialist practice as a quantum expert, adjudicator, arbitrator and mediator Chris has been involved in the analysis and resolution of many contentious claims, the majority of which arose out of JCT and NEC contracts. As a Chartered Quantity Surveyor Chris has spent most of his professional life administering the financial provisions of various editions and different forms of these contracts, and he has also acted as project manager and employer’s representative/agent under the various editions and forms. For a number of years he sat on the RICS Practice and Management Board Queries Panel dealing with queries on contract matters and disputes, almost all of these involved JCT contracts.
- Dispute between subcontractor and main contractor under framework agreement for public utilities works.
- Dispute between a specialist mechanical services subcontractor and a main contractor regarding final account and completion issues relating to a residential development.
- Project mediator on a dispute between a local authority and a main contractor in relation to a long term multi-million pound project partnering contract to build and manage council housing stock.
- Mediating domestic disputes involving private house owners.
- Dispute over release of retention, completion status, defects and delays to construction of Central London apartment.
- Quantum Expert for Owner in ICC Arbitration arising out of new paint shop facilities in car factory, Warsaw, Poland, claim value $20,000,000.
- Quantum Expert (also dealing with time matters) for specialist works contractor claiming delay, disruption, acceleration and loss and expense on Shopping Centre development, Glasgow.
- Quantum expert for insurers in dispute arising on rebuilding under NEC 3 Options A (building) and D (process plant) of confectionery factory following total loss in fire.
- Quantum expert for property funder in ad-hoc arbitration concerning funding and purchase of retail development, Portugal.
- Quantum expert for main contractor in connection with various major disputes arising on national stadium, West London.
- Dispute between a sub-contractor and main contractor regarding final account for highways drainage contract under NEC Conditions.
- Quantum Expert for design and build contractor in connection with disputes arising on new office development.
Construction & Engineering: Infrastructure
- Quantum Expert for Contractor in connection with UK High Court litigation on railway re-signalling project, claim value £5,000,000.
- Expert advice and assistance in negotiation of settlement for dispute subject to domestic arbitration on airport redevelopment, southern Caribbean.
- Quantum Expert for Employer in a number of separate disputes at adjudication and UK domestic arbitration involving major claims under £4.5 billion PPP rail infrastructure upgrade and operation contract.
- Expert advice in connection with disputes on £750 million NEC 3 Option C contract for new and upgraded rail infrastructure project.
- Quantum expert for Contractor in arbitration arising out of major motorway construction project, Ireland, under Irish Arbitration Acts.
- Quantum Expert for main contractor in adjudication and High Court proceedings in connection with financial disputes arising on major heavy marine civil engineering works in South-West England.
- Quantum Expert for Employer in three separate disputes at adjudication and UK domestic arbitration involving major claims under £1.3 billion PPP rail telecommunications project.
Energy & Natural Resources
- Mediator in dispute arising on chemical processing plant, North-East England, involving pipework spools and ancillary plant installations.
- Quantum Expert for Owner in ICC Arbitration arising out of construction of new oil refining plant, Slovakia, claim value $9,376,872.
- Quantum expert for public authority in dispute arising on construction of waste-to-energy plant in South Wales under PFI arrangements.
- Quantum expert for Defendant in High Court action involving total loss due to oil terminal explosion, UK, involving complex issues of betterment.
- Quantum Expert for Employer in dispute in UK High Court arising out of construction of LNG liquefaction plant, West Africa, involving consideration of costs to complete and disallowable costs arising out of settlement agreement.
- Quantum Expert for Employer in dispute at ICC Arbitration arising out of construction of gas pipeline and associated process installations, Middle East, involving consideration of costs to complete and disallowable costs arising out of settlement agreement and other aspects following partial award.
- Quantum Expert for Employer in dispute arising on combined cycle power plant, UK Midlands.
- Quantum Expert for principal HRSG vendor in dispute with its principal subcontractor arising out of combined cycle power plant, South-East UK at UK domestic arbitration.
- A number of mediation appointments related to professional consultants involved in construction projects.
- Quantum and Liability Expert for insured defendants in a number of alleged professional negligence suits involving quantity surveyors and QS project managers, and for Claimant Employers in other similar matters.
- Member of Dispute Adjudication Board in connection with subcontract for topsides modules, UK jurisdiction.
- Advice to Employer in dispute at ICC arbitration arising out of topsides sub-contract, Middle East, in connection with termination and attempted back-charge of costs to complete by replacement contractor.
- Quantum expert for shipbuilder in major dispute involving alleged time and cost overruns arising out of superyacht construction contract.
Updated: March 2016