CEDR Panel member since 2017
Educated: University of Kent at Canterbury
College of Law, Chester
BA (Hons), Law 1973
Fellow of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 1994
Chartered Arbitrator, 1999
Arbitrator Member, Society of Construction Arbitrators
Member of the London Court of International Arbitration
Member of the following Panels of Adjudicators and Arbitrators:
Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Construction Industry Council Technology and Construction Solicitors Association
Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
The Law Society
Irish Government Panel of Construction Adjudicators
Professional career: Trainee Solicitor, Cobbetts, Manchester 1974-76
Assistant Solicitor, Clyde & Co London 1976-78
Assistant Solicitor and Partner, Laytons Bristol 1978-2000
Partner, Osborne Clarke 2000 – 2010
Consultant, Osborne Clarke, 2010 – continuing
Independent Arbitrator, Adjudicator & Mediator
Recent appointments as Arbitrator and similar include
- Sole arbitrator in dispute about commercial refrigeration unit used in agricultural production
- Sole arbitrator in property development dispute
- Sole arbitrator, dispute about international distributorship agreement, footwear industry (parties in UK and Spain)
- Sole arbitrator (ICC appointment) in international shareholder dispute re professional football club (parties in UK and Japan).
- Sole Arbitrator in an Irish Civil Engineering dispute involving road construction
- Sole arbitrator (ICC appointment) in dispute relating to international distributorship agreement for medical equipment (parties in Belgium and Austria).
- Sole arbitrator in several construction and engineering disputes in UK
- Expert for expert determination proceedings involving IT software escrow account dispute between major Irish public authority and software provider
- Arbitrator in dispute re professional fees in international ship building dispute (parties in UK and Turkey)
- Chairman of FIDIC Dispute Adjudication Board, dam construction project, Sudan (parties Chinese Contractor and Sudanese Government) (2 references)
- Sole member ICC Dispute Board, photo-voltaic plant in France
- Expert (ICC appointment) to determine dispute re disputed termination of road construction contract in Nigeria (parties Nigerian contractor and Nigerian State Government)
- Arbitrator in dispute between local authority and care provider
- Arbitrator in several professional partnership disputes, including accountancy and solicitors’ practices
- Arbitrator in several landlord and tenant and other property disputes
- Adjudicator in over 200 construction adjudications
- Regular appointments as Mediator in wide ranging variety of disputes, including multi party cases
As Solicitor, a specialist in construction contract disputes since 1980. Head of Construction Law for Laytons and subsequently Osborne Clarke nationally. Extensive experience of construction litigation and arbitration in civil engineering and conventional building projects and related fields.
Indicative reported UK cases include Birse Construction v St David (recognised as the leading case on disputes arising out of partnering relationships), Tesco v Costain (limitation issues in negligence) and Birse Construction v Eastern Telegraph (measure of damage in defects claims). Regularly acting for employers, contractors and subcontractors in a wide range of projects and disputes, including the collapse of a port complex, power plant construction, sports stadia and several underground railway and road tunnel projects (eg the Jubilee Line Extension, Docklands Light Railway and Channel Tunnel Rail Link).
International cases include disputes relating to the refurbishment of the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem, the construction of Dublin Port Tunnel, a highway project in Ghana, commercial and diplomatic buildings in Moscow, a residential development in Budapest, a sports stadium in Korea, an international hotel in the Ukraine, process plant projects in Fujeirah and South Africa and pipeline projects in Brazil and Saudi Arabia.
National Chairman, Society of Construction Law, 1996 - 1998
Author of Adjudication in Construction Contracts (February 2001) and Civil Engineering Claims (with Douglas Stephenson) (third edition 1999) both published by Blackwell Scientific
Regular contributor to publications such as Building and speaker on construction law and dispute resolution topics in UK and Europe.