To contact or appoint Jon Lang, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
(Non-Neutral work in italics)
Agency Agreements:Dispute arising out of the termination of an agency agreement in the field of radio advertising (c. £1.5m).
Art:Claim arising out of a high profile auction concerning its marketing, cataloguing of articles, disputed provenance, etc. (c. £5 million).
Aviation: Mediation concerning aircraft leasing and asserted liens (c.400K).
Banking & Finance
- Dispute between a financial institution and commercial customer over a number of sophisticated financial products sold a number of years ago.
- Dispute between a bank and a public body set up to provide pensions for workers. A fraud was perpetrated against the public body - £1.5 million was lost and could not be recovered. The public body blamed the bank for not spotting what they asserted was unusual behaviour on the account into which the defrauded monies were paid (and then transferred off to 3 different jurisdictions). Complex areas of law concerning unjust enrichment claims and defences.
- A claim between a high net worth individual and a private bank concerning the devaluation and exit from an investment fund (c.£12 million).
- An Inter-bank dispute in relation to security held by each (c. £2 million).
- An action brought by a bank to enforce several guarantees given by directors of a business (c. £3 million).
- Mediation of a parallel imports/exhaustion of rights case concerning the importation of new and reengineered computing equipment into the EC.
- Dispute between customer and IT service provider over performance of new system, critical service failures, right to terminate and recovery of loss beyond service credit regime.
- A multi-party mediation concerning the misuse of confidential information, breach of fiduciary obligations and breach of contract(c. £1 million).
- A confidential information dispute in the healthcare sector arising out of the departure of minority shareholders/directors.
- A three day mediation arising out of a breach of confidence dispute which included an exercise verifying deletion of confidential material from various databases.
Construction & Engineering
- A multi-party dispute arising out of the construction of a port (c. £2.5 million).
- A dispute arising out of the refurbishment of, and extension to a major London department store (c. £12m).
- A mediation between a construction company and a museum arising out of the construction of a new wing (c. £10m).
- A dispute between a construction company and quantity surveyor acting as contract administrator arising out of the alleged over-valuation of works (c. £400k).
- A claim by a major banking institution against companies and individuals involving allegations of bribery, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract (c. £7 million).
- Litigation arising out of a failed property development company in which unsuspecting parties invested in non-existent property (c.£3 million).
- A multi-party action arising out of the alleged diversion of opportunities to directors of a financial services business, including tracing claims against third parties (c. £6 million).
- Defamation and malicious falsehood claims arising out of a radio broadcast (c. £2m).
- A dispute arising out of publication in print and online of allegations of professional misconduct.
Distribution Agreements: Dispute concerning an exclusive distribution agreement in the automotive sector (c. £1 million).
Employment & Workplace
- a dispute between a former senior executive of a financial institution involving restraint of trade issues and money due under various share and executive plans (c. £2 million).
- an unfair dismissal claim brought by a senior employee arising out of alleged protected disclosures, also involving a defamation claim.
- a claim by a group of employees for unfair dismissal, age discrimination, unlawful deduction of wages and failure to inform and consult under TUPE.
Franchising: Dispute between an international franchisor and one of its franchisees operating in a number of jurisdictions (c. £4 million).
ICT – Information, Communication & Technology
- A two-day mediation concerning a master software licence and services agreement in the financial services field involving a foreign public corporation (c. £70 million).
- A mediation in Washington D.C. arising out of a dispute in the insurance sector following a merger and concerning the scope of a licence agreement (c. £15 million).
- A mediation over 4 days arising out of the implementation of a CRM system (c. £1.4 billion).
- A dispute concerning a failed development of a new telecoms service (c. £500k).
- Several disputes involving the manufacture of electrical components, such as PCB's (Printed Circuit Boards).
- A dispute concerning the failure of computing components.
- Acted in a dispute over the development of satellite receiving equipment, which involved issues concerning the manufacture of highly technical components (DMAC chips etc) for satellite receivers.
- An action brought by liquidators against former directors alleging undervalue transactions, wrongful payment of dividends and repayment of loans (c. £1.5 million).
- A claim by liquidators against various professional services firms arising out of the collapse of a litigation funding scheme (c. £12 million).
- A dispute involving a high street chain store and an insurance company concerning the selling of payment protection and other insurance policies (c. £900k).
- A dispute between a public body and an insurer concerning a failed claims handling project.
- A mediation arising out of a collective conditional fee agreement between solicitors and legal expenses underwriters (c.£4 million).
Intellectual Property – Copyright
- A multiparty dispute concerning the exploitation of sound recordings and the back catalogue of a major rock star.
- A dispute concerning ownership/joint ownership of code and artwork for an internet portal.
Intellectual Property – Databases
- Various disputes concerning database rights, management and sharing.
- A dispute concerning a large scale e-commerce database project in the auto sector involving issues of appropriate choice of programming language and compatibility.
- A dispute concerning the amalgamation of databases and the rights that exist in the combined database.
- A range of disputes concerning the licensing of software, software drivers, and database servers.
Intellectual Property – Design Right: A dispute between competitors in the luxury goods market concerning community and national registered and unregistered design right.
Intellectual Property – Patents
- A patent entitlement/joint inventorship claim in relation to a product in the consumer electronics field.
- An employee invention claim under section 40 Patents Act 1977 (c. £2million).
- An patent infringement/invalidity dispute in the manufacturing sector.
Intellectual Property – Trade Marks
- Claim by UK company against much larger US company alleging trade mark infringement in respect of nail care products. US company threatened their own action in respect of a different trade mark.
- Party A(owner of designs) sued Party B (big retail food outlet) for using its designs in its outlets. Party B had commissioned Party C to come up with design concepts.
- A trade mark dispute between two household name technology companies arising out of their respective development of sub-brands.
- A trade mark dispute concerning a ‘split’ trade mark, involving multiple jurisdictions and trade mark revocation, opposition and infringement proceedings in each (c. £2million).
- A dispute over ‘switch selling’ of alcoholic beverages giving rise to trade mark infringement and passing off claims.
- A trade mark licensing dispute between a major chain store and a well-known brand owner over the manner in which the trade mark was used/developed (c. £5 million).
- A two-day mediation concerning a long-term raw material supply contract (c. £40 million).
- A multi-party, multi-jurisdictional dispute concerning the supply of raw materials involving issues of foreign law liens, guarantees, reservation of title, etc. (c. £1.5million).
Media & Entertainment
- A dispute arising out of the development, production, distribution and marketing of a series of films in the animation sector (£8 million).
- A dispute between a film production company and an advertising agency concerning the making of a film for a major high street chain store (£750k).
- A dispute between a software house and a gaming TV channel over the running of a gaming platform and revenue sharing arrangements (c. £500k).
Mergers & Acquisition: Claim under a share purchase agreement involving allegations of non-disclosure and breaches of warranty (c. £1.5 million).
- A dispute between a retailer and service provider operating a call centre and warehousing facility concerning service level agreements, charging structures and termination.
- A mediation involving a major airport arising out of an outsourcing contract (c £2.5million).
- Work done by outsourcing company on basis of Letter of Intent in expectation of a proper. agreement being put in place within a month. Even months went by - no proper agreement, but work done. Issue - the cap on fees in LoI, anticipated an agreement in a month, i.e. a moths work being done, not seven moths work. Parties fell out. No proper agreement. Parties argued whether cap did or did not apply.
Partnership & Shareholder
- A dispute between an advertising company and former/present directors concerning restrictive covenants, alleged misuse of confidential information, etc. (c. £1m).
- A claim against a former director for breaches of fiduciary and statutory duties, and dishonest assistance and knowing receipt.
- A case involving UK and US proceedings and concerning restrictive covenants of senior directors leaving a multinational company and setting up in competition.
- A dispute involving the expulsion of a partner from a 20+ partner solicitors practice, involving issues of compensation, profit share and client retention.
- A claim by a former partner of an accountancy practice based on misrepresentation, misapplication of capital and continuing obligations under guarantees (c. £750k).
- A dispute between two publishing houses with shareholdings in a joint venture and concerning corporate oversight, director’s appointments, etc. (c. £30 million).
- Minority shareholder actions brought by various family members following the death of the company’s founder, involving complex valuation issues, buy-out proposals, etc. (£5 million).
Personal Injury:A fatal accident claim arising out of an aircraft crash (c. £2 million).
- An architect’s negligence action brought by a prime contractor on a large inner city development project (c. £10 million).
- A solicitors negligence action arising out of the sale of land and the adverse impact of various overage provisions (c. £500k).
- An accountants negligence action arising out of tax advice given on the structuring of a share option plan (c. £1.5 million).
- a claim brought by a lending bank against valuers for overvaluation of land and its development potential (c. £3 million).
- A landlord and tenant case between a public authority and a commercial entity concerning alleged breaches of covenants, applications for a new tenancy, etc. (c. £100k).
- A multi-party mediation between owners of a property portfolio (c. £3million).
- A multi-party dispute involving disputed boundaries (c. 200k).
Sale of Goods & Services: A dispute between a food retailer and beverages manufacturer arising out of a long term supply agreement (c. £2.5 million).
- A mediation between the governing body of a sport and a PR company concerning sponsorship for tournaments in the UK and overseas (c. 250k).
- A dispute between a major football club and a sports agent (c. £500k).
- A breach of contract claim arising out of the broadcast of a major sporting event (c.100k).
Trusts, Wills & Probate
- A claim by executors of an estate, supported by charity beneficiaries, against family members alleging undue influence in relation to certain life-time transactions (c. 800k).
- A dispute between beneficiaries over the precise scope of bequests of land.
Updated: October 2015