To contact or appoint Peter Thompson, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
“Peter achieved more in one day than we were all able to achieve in over 18 months.” - Client Feedback
Languages: English - Spanish
Peter Thompson is a solicitor and who has been involved in the resolution of employment disputes for over 30 years. Acknowledged as an expert in employment and partnership disputes Peter has undertaken nearly 100 mediations and countless investigations using his extensive knowledge and experience of employment law having worked as a Chairman of Ministry of Justice Employment Tribunal’s in both Manchester and Nottingham for 14 years. He is particularly well regarded for the effective resolution of senior employee/director disputes.
On qualifying as a solicitor, Peter joined The Littlewood Organisation, eventually becoming Head of Legal Department and later the Personnel & Training Director. He then became the National Employment Partner at the international law firm DLA Piper where he personally advised some of the UK’s best known companies, such as Tesco, Arcadia, Abbey, Kodak and Selfridges, on all aspects of employment law. Peter now works as an employment law consultant and mediator at EMW LLP
Employment & Workplace
- Dispute between employer and ex-employee over terms of a reference and consequential losses.
- Breach of contract claim brought by employee deprived of substantial bonus on the basis of underperformance.
- Dispute between Company and former employee regarding bonus payments.
- Personality clashes within department had caused conflict, reduced productivity and absence on grounds of stress. All involved agreed resolution over two meetings.
- Bullying Claims
- Dispute between two employees, each of whom accused the other of threatening violence. No witnesses to any actions and claims unsubstantiated by both. Each refused to carry on working.
- Senior store manager alleged bullying by regional director, who felt that actions were justified by underperformance of manager and poor store results. Resolved when manager agreed to move to smaller store in different region.
- Action brought by H.R Director and Finance Director of transport company alleging bullying on part of the Managing Director. Resolved over three days.
- Claim of race and disability discrimination brought by employee, claiming compensation of £1m+.
- HR Manager in dispute with regional director, claimed sex discrimination. Agreed exit package.
- Claim of age and race discrimination amounting to £600k brought by an employee based in Africa.
- Sales Director claimed age and sex discrimination having seen her job advertised by an agency.
- Serious allegations of sex discrimination brought by three members of distribution night shift, backed by their trade union, against shift managers.
- Dismissal Claims
- Claim for constructive dismissal and personal injury, arising out of serious conflict between Regional Director and Manager of high street bank. Allegations of under-performance bullying and stress.
- Tribunal proceedings for unfair dismissal, age and race discrimination brought by former director of FTSE 100 company, claiming £2.7m.
- Dispute between former public servant and employer regarding dismissal.
- In-House Investigations, Grievances and Appeals
Peter undertakes internal investigations where, for example, malpractice, discrimination or bullying may be suspected and where an objective assessment is required to discover the true position and protect the business. Similarly, he conducts grievance hearings and appeals on behalf of employers where an outside presence is required.
- Investigation into alleged misconduct of Town Clerk. Councillors claimed misappropriation of authority funds, inflation of personal expenses and abuse of tendering procedures. Counter claim was of sex discrimination against the same Councillors.
- Investigation into claims of bullying and misappropriation brought by three directors of large manufacturing company against Managing Director.
- Investigation, prompted by non-executive directors, into complaints of institutionalised race discrimination brought by former employees against directors of private health organisation.
- The conduct of a disciplinary hearing on behalf of a public body into allegations of serious misconduct brought against a senior employee, including recommendation of outcome and sanctions.
- Investigation into claims of age discrimination brought by senior employee employed by health provider.
Partnership & Shareholder
- Partnership dispute around allegations of negligence on the part of a senior partner and counter allegations of work induced stress. Value over £400k.
- Partner claimed disability discrimination when, whilst absent, other partners attempted to expel from partnership on basis of underperformance.
Peter adopts a relaxed but professional style of mediation but remains attentive to the parties needs and determined to explore all the options.
Feedback - Clients
- “One of the very best employment lawyers in the country. He is the best communicator I have met.”
- Managing Partner top 100 law firm
- “The key for me is to find the middle-ground and Peter gets there more efficiently and effectively than any sat nav!”
- HR Director FTSE 100 company
- “Peter achieved more in one day than we were all able to achieve in over 18 months.”
Bank regional Director.
- “Assessed situation and adapted process accordingly.”
- “Since you conducted the mediation, I have felt that a weight has been lifted. We are working as a team again.”
- Managing Director Transport Company.
Feedback – Directories
- “Highly practical and down-to-earth.”
- “Interviewees gave the seal of approval to Peter Thompson.”
- Chambers & Partners Guide to the Legal Profession
2010 to date: Consultant and mediator with EMW LLP
1996-2009: National Employment Partner, DLA Piper
1982-1997: Employment Tribunal Chairman
1968-1996: Littlewood Legal Department
1967: LL.B (Hons), Law – University of Leeds
Updated: September 2016