Stephen Ruttle QC
To contact or appoint Stephen Ruttle QC, call CEDR on +44 (0)207 536 6060 or email email@example.com
Stephen has been a practising barrister since 1976 and was appointed Queens Counsel in 1997. When active as a litigation barrister his main areas of practice were reinsurance, insurance, Lloyds, shipping and general commercial law. He also practiced in banking and financial services matters.
In addition to Stephen’s work as a mediator he is an active Commercial Arbitrator. He arbitrates extensively in the reinsurance and insurance field usually sitting as Sole Arbitrator or as the Chairman of the Panel. Stephen has Arbitrated a number of ICC and LCIA disputes, is a Lloyds Arbitrator and a member of the British Insurance Law Association and LMAA.
Stephen has been called upon to act as an expert witness on English insurance law in the United States, Sweden and Australia.
Other Mediation Activities
Stephen is heavily involved in the community mediation movement in the voluntary sector. For a number of years he was on the board of Mediation UK, then the national community mediation organisation. He is a founder Director of a community mediation charity called Wandsworth Mediation Service and is currently involved in developing local dispute resolution/community mediation initiatives in Wandsworth. He regularly mediates clerical and other church based disputes on a voluntary basis and is keen to develop mediation initiatives between faith groups.
An enthusiastic advocate of mediation Stephen regularly writes, lectures and speaks about mediation, its development and its advantages.
Stephen is a member of the Bar Council ADR Committee and of the Civil Justice Council ADR Committee. He is an independent mediator board member of the Civil Mediation Council. He is also Company Secretary of Mediation UK (the national community mediation organisation) and a founder Director of Wandsworth Mediation Service.
Qualifications & Memberships
- Member of ARIAS US 1998
- Accredited and Registered by CEDR as a Mediator 1998
- Member of the Civil Justice Council ADR Committee 2000
- Member of the Bar Council ADR Committee 2000 - 2007
- Board Member of Mediation UK 2001- 2005
- Founder Director of Wandsworth Mediation Service 2002
- Independent Mediator Board Member of the Civil Mediation Council 2003-2005
- Bencher Gray's Inn 2004
- Vice-Chairman of Mediation UK 2004 - 2005
- Member: Panel of Independent Mediators (PIM) 2005
- Accredited Mediator at Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre 2006
- Fellow of the International Academy of Mediators 2007
- Lieutenant-Bailiff Guernsey 2008
- Lecturer at numerous Insurance, Reinsurance and Mediation Seminars.
- Co-Author of "Insurance Brokers" section in Professional Negligence and Liability, LLP 2000.
- Contributor to Butterworths, "Mediators on Mediation, Leading Mediator Perspectives on the Practice of Commercial Mediation" 2005.
- Co-Author of Chapter 9 in the ICC publication ADR in Business 2006 ("Better Dispute Resolution - The Development and Practice of Mediation in the United Kingdom between 1995 and 2005").
Updated: October 2015